Lake guys get no respect (in a stream fishin' town)

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, Mar 23, 2013.

1. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    Thought I had lost my throat sampler so I stopped by a shop in town after work to pick up a replacement.

No, we don't have those. We don't support taking food away from the fish . . .says the guy who makes his living helping people poke holes in the mouths of wild rainbow trout. But, I digress. And this wasn't my regular shop. There, where they know me, they said "no" as well but told me I was the first person to ask for one.

Anyway, I had to stay close to home today so I hit north Fiorito 7:30-11am. Cold (26 on the Suby readout) and flat calm. Missed a grab right off the launch on a flashy black/red leech. Nothing for the next hour. Tried trolling various speeds and directions. Anchored up in a nice looking spot and hung stuff under my bobber. Missed a couple more grabs on a damsel trolled super slow on my hover line. Finally had a little flurry of takedowns near the island and went 2-for-4 on an olive micro leech. Found my throat sampler (being a lake guy, I carry way too much gear and regularly hide various items from myself) and saw lots of daphnia.

About the time I had to get going the swallows were out and 'mids were popping. Maybe the afternoon would have been better.

Two boats were out trolling and had no fish. Saw one fish come to a bank fisher.
    Irafly and Jeff Dodd like this.
  2. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Thanks for the Report. I might be out there tomorrow. I think we might even try for some bass. A little multi species trip.
  3. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +452 / 1
    i spent the whole day there not to long ago, leeches under an indicator near the island was where it was at.
  4. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +167 / 1
    Troutpocket. I figure if we use flys tie flys, and fly fish we are fly fisherman. Screw those guys. And by the way good report. Wish I wasn't in Alaska. Bob
  5. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    Thanks for the report. I've driven by there hundreds of times but I've never fished it.
  6. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,100 / 1
    Ahh, you found it! I looked for it last weekend when I was able to make it out for a couple of hours at Martha Lake (WB).

Glad you made it out, I'm off to Lone tomorrow and no one has been able to fish with me, wish you could have made it over.
  7. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    After the stockers are gone it's a great little warm water lake. From time to time someone starts a thread on a good place to take kids. This one checks all the boxes.