Lake Lenice

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by homeyg, Feb 13, 2009.

1. homeyg

homeyg New Member

Some friends and I are planning a Lenice trip around the middle of April I've only fished it once a couple of years ago and did pretty well, but it was early. We caught most of our fish on leeches. Any thoughts about mid-april?

2. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Likely Callibaetis hatches. Depending on water temp there may be some damsel activity though IMO mid-April is a little early I would still micro-mooch a damsel or cast to the reeds and micro-strip. Very likely midge hatches especially at sunrise. Those are my best guesses. I also love to night fish Lenice with a #2 black egg-sucking bunny leech - the bows and browns slam big dark patterns in the dead of night.

3. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Lenice is like Nunnally they pretty much fish the same. I dont fish Lenice . I've had great days at Nunnally early in march with chronies, and small leeches, and zonker paterns.

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Lenice fish get pounded regularly so they've seen practically everything that can possibly be thrown at them. If you can't perfectly match the size, look and characteristics of native food sources, sometimes being outrageously different can pay dividends.

For instance, Jim rightly suggested above that pitching a nymph right up to the reeds can be productive. Except when it isn't. Then, instead of micro-stripping, try a really long, fast and jerky strip instead.

Or try doing the same thing with a big scud pattern in the shallows at either end. Most people use little tiny scud patterns and barely twitch 'em to mimic the natives. Doing the opposite has worked so many times for me that I usually start that way instead.

K

5. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    Aw c'mon Kent, my damsel micro-strip always slays. :rofl:

edit:
    To add just a little more, here's a couple tips for Lenice re leeches. In low light (very early morning / late evening) large black leeches are the ticket. Once the sun is on the water or even on a cloudy day when it brightens up leech size needs to come down and be a bit more subtle in my experience, hale-bop and other mohair type leeches in smaller sizes work well, as do small (like #8) bunny leeches tied very sparse. Various colors but in low light or dead of night black is optimal with a fair amount of krystal flash to glint in the moonlight - browns, olives, purples with light flash midday. Fishing a leech in midday at Lenice is, to me, an act of desperation though - in the right months there are usually hatches or enough damsel (and/or dragonfly) activity that there is no need to drag an intermediate line behind my boat.

The opinions expressed here may be totally lame, no warranty expressed or implied. ;)

Okay, one more thing: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=54915 - although this thread is a question about antelope, Preston and I got off on a tangent and started chatting about callibaetis - yeah, we hijacked it a bit... He provided some excellent photos of both flies and naturals, and as Kent said, a very fine representation is required for these educated fish. I understand Preston also has an article on callibaetis in this months Fly Fishing & Tying Journal - need to get myself a copy of that.

6. troutangler

troutangler Member

Chironimids!

7. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Preston and other long-time Lenice fishers also note that the number and frequency of callibaetis seems to be declining over time. Nobody seems sure what the cause is.

K

8. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    Maybe the fish are eatin em Kent?

9. 509

509 New Member

You think it might be all those "scaly" fish that are swimming around down there??

10. Preston

Preston Active Member

Steve Raymond, in his recent book Blue Upright reports says he has received anecdotal reports of declining Callibaetis hatches from all up and down the coast. I noticed a sharp decline in the size of the Callibaetis hatches at Chopaka for several years prior to last year's rehabilitation; was it the growing population of smallmouth bass eating them up? I guess only time will tell. As for Lenice, I kept hearing reports of good Callibaetis hatches which always seemed to occur when I wasn't there and just last year while I was trying to prove out my new inverted midge pattern, a friend of mine was nailing them only a short distance away on the Chopaka Emerger. I suspect that sunfish enjoy eating Callibaetis as much as trout do and I'm amazed and alarmed at the size of the schools of sunfish I've seen at Lenice in the last couple of years.

11. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Re, sunfish @ Nunnally last year I thought the population was down as I did not get any sunfish as I had in the past. The lakes are due for rehab not by the WDFW but by my say so.
    But with the plants down the last year I think they may be planning on it .

12. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    Hm, it does seem to me that I've seen variation in the callibaetis hatches at Lenice and in my experience it was good when the spiny ray population was nearly non-existent, and more sparse and unpredictable when the population is high. So, didn't fish Lenice last year... were there a ton of sunfish?

13. troutangler

troutangler Member

Last year about this time, the WDFW told me that they planned to rehab Lenice (and Nunnally) in the Fall of 2008. That did not happen for whatever reason, but I'm glad.

The chironimid fishing at Lenice during 2007 and 2008 was stellar for me, and I have yet to catch a sunfish there.

I know that some of you have had a different experience, but until I see a decrease in the size, number and health of the trout, I'm against the rehab idea.

This year may be different, so if chironimids won't do the trick, I'm putting on a sunfish pattern!:rofl:

Troutangler

14. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I'm with you Troutangler, glad they didn't rehab. Last year was certainly the best fishing I have seen on the Nunnally chain. A few sunfish but not bad.

Looking forward to a repeat of last year! Coming up pretty darn quick!

MB

15. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    Good to hear! The browns have another year to grow :) Are they still planting tigers in there too? I haven't looked at stock reports for a while, I know I know, I could look it up... but that wouldn't tell me if any of you have caught tigers recently and if so, what kinda size?

16. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

They did plant tigers later in the year. I hit pods of them in the northwest corner. Small, fiesty little guys.

MB

17. troutangler

troutangler Member

Jim,
    Caught my first Tiger in Lenice last spring and it was a health 15 in. fish.
    Some of the Browns were impressively large last year, well into the 24"+ range.
    Chironimids under an indicator in daytime and Big Black flies after dark were killer for me!
    Good fishing!
    Troutangler

18. dp

dp ~El Pescador

Lenice is ice free! was just there on Sunday scouting out the area

19. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    Good stuff. Thanks for the info guys. Time to put some air in my pontoon cart tires... :beer2:

20. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

I have fished Lenice sense the mid 60’s and have had many great memories but I would have to agree the last several years has been exceptional. Just when you think Lenice fish just can’t possibly get any larger it will reassure you and produce some surprises. A group of us go early spring every year and have never been disappointed. My fishing partner is holding a Tiger that represents several rainbows and browns that were similar in size last year.
    The fly in nose was not his.