Lake Lenore

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Tom Merrill, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Tom Merrill

Tom Merrill Member

Are the cutts still in the shallows? How long do they usually stay there? :CONFUSED

2. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

The whole lake more or less qualifies as "shallows". They stay congregated at the North end spawning areas for another couple weeks. Then they disperse throughout the lake never to congregate again until next spring. That's when dragging a nymph or bugger starts to work better along any of the shoreline areas.

3. lotech joe

lotech joe New Member

I was there this weekend. 4/20. I didn't fish it because the wind was too strong for me. I talked to a couple of guys who were just coming off the lake, about halfway down the east side. They got skunked. But, they told me they saw a lot of fish moving north, and many of those fish were temporarily trapped in some of the east side coves. When I drove past the north end, there were only about a dozen people working the shallows. I was told, they were only hitting on chronomids. Pheasant Tails, Hare's Ears, Prince's Nymph, (both beaded and non-beaded), and even the occational scud. I don't know what color. They are Cutthroat, I would guess pink. I was also told that if you are going to fish the north end, or the east side, you shouldn't get into water any deeper than your ankle bone. If you do, you will disrupt the spawning ground. I asked about Adams and Humpies, and was informed they would take nothing on the surface.
    Best of Luck,
    cuz thats what it takes sometimes.
    Lotech Joe

4. LDR

LDR New Member

Media:
    Had time to stop by Lake Lenore for a few hours on Friday. First time I have fished it, and it was pretty neat (as well as frustrating) to see all the fish in the shallows. Fished the North end and it wasn't too crowded. Wind was a bit gusty, but not that bad, and it was starting to die down in the afternoon, when I had to leave. Fish were taking chironomids relatively consistently, but seemed to be a bit picky about pattern. I started off very slowly, while people around me were catching fish. I hate that feeling! I tried some different things, and ended up asking some guys who were doing very well how they were set up. Similar to what I had been doing, except I think my indicator was too bouyant. The fish were taking the flies very softly, and I don't think my ~3/4 inch corkie allowed me to see the takes. I switched to a yarn indicator and started catching fish. The larger fish you see swimming around seem more interested in attempting to spawn than in eating, so most of the fish caught were the "average" sized cutties, running from probably 19-21 inches. Saw a few larger hooked and caught, and my best was around 23-24. Black chironomids seemed to be the best, although one guy had a home tied fly that was definitely the hot fly of the day. Never saw it, but he caught a boatload of fish.

Oh, back to your question. Fish are in the shallows; I had some hanging out between my legs as I was standing in calf-deep water. Pretty cool, even if you don't catch anything.

I'd like to come back when the fish are more into eating than spawning, but it is pretty fun to see all these big fish in skinny water.
    tight lines
    LDR