Lake Leo open at last

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by IveofIone, May 26, 2011.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

For whatever reason our local crappie lake has had the gate locked for almost a month after the opener. It is finally open so yesterday afternoon I hurried up to get in a little fishing before the deluge arrived. It took awhile to find the fish, the lake is very high and off color. The boat ramp is under water again this year, either due to the heavy runoff of the Little Pend Oreille River or the beavers repairing their dam.

The fish are plentiful and willing but still a little thin from the hard winter. They should bulk up a bit in the next few weeks. I had 2 rods in the pram-an ultra light spinning rod made from a G Loomis 7 1/2' 4wt fly rod bank and an IMX 2 wt fly rod. I used the spinning rod to locate the fish as it was easier but once I found them I anchored up and got out the 2 wt. The 2 wt has a DT line on it on which I removed the front taper and spliced on four feet of Type IV sinking line. This cast nicely and gets the fly down slowly enough that the crappies can't resist it. I only tried one fly and since it caught a fish on almost every cast I didn't bother to change. The fly was tied on a Mustad 32756 jig hook with a gold tungsten bead. Casting close to the shore and using the floating section of the line as a strike indicator was a kick and the fish gave a good account of themselves on the little 2 wt.

It is good to have a neighborhood lake open again and will be especially good later today when those crappies meet the frying pan along with some cornbread and ale.

Cheap thrills just minutes away.

Ive

2. Doug Lee

Doug Lee Member

Mr. Ive,

How about a photo of your crappie fly? I'm a big fan of bluegills and crappies and am always in the market for something different to throw at them. I enjoy your posts on the warm water fish, even though I fish the west side it is interesting to hear what you have going on over east.

Doug Lee

3. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Doug, I am having a helluva time posting pics on here. A lucid tutorial for the not-so-computer-competent would certainly ease the process.

Here is an attempt, as you can see the flies are pretty small. The marabou tied in at the head undulates as the fly sinks or is retrieved and seems to be enough action to make crappies crazy. Hope you can see this stuff.

Ive

It worked! I'm amazed.

4. Doug Lee

Doug Lee Member

Ive,

Great job on the phots. I think I can copy those and give them a try on the west side. Have fun over there.

Doug

5. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

Media:
    i will copy them to haha

6. TB

TB Member

I been waiting all winter to go crappie fishing there, and all of a sudden like I wind up moving to Pullman area in April. Caught some big bluegill out of Winchester lake in May with my brother. Took them home and fried them up in butter and boy was they good, but they wern't crappie.

Ive, what does the white flies immitate? Just wondering why they hit them.