Lake Lines

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Oh-4wt, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

I dont have any knowledge about the deep 7 it does say can be used by 5 to 8wt rod though. I just happy with the Rio type 6. It goes down fast and will cover most water .Some have complaints with the type 6 for memory coiling but it has never been a problem for me and I rarely if ever strecth it out. It works fine and covers Pass no problem.

2. Tom Palmer

Tom Palmer Active Member

If I were a member of Rio's marketing department I would have strongly recommended against calling it Deep 7. People (understandably) associate the line with 7 weight rods and make the mistake of passing on it. It is designed for deep lake fishing and doesn't care if your rod has a 5, 6, or 7 printed on the side. There is no 5 weight full sink that can touch it for reaching the depths.

It's a great line for what it's designed for e.g. deep water chironomid fishing and suspending floating dragons above the weeds.

I would still recommend a floater and cortland camo first, but this is a great line to have fishing lakes.

3. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Tom, good point. Surprising how many folks confuse sink rate types with line weights. I think some of that comes from a lot of guys who don't use sinkers regularly, especially with those faster rates. But I always like hearing the stories from guys who decide to try them and get used to them. If more people only knew how versatile (and deadly) they can be...

4. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Could someone help me out by providing a quick definition of what "intermediate" means when the term is used alone? ex. "I use an intermediate fly line exclusively." I thought I understood this, but it's apparent now that I need some help.

Thanks,
    Greggor

5. Tom Palmer

Tom Palmer Active Member

re: intermediate lines

Traditionally sinking lines have been marketed by their sink rate. A Type 1 would be the slowest sinking line (e.g. 1.5" per sec), Type 2 would be faster and so on. A Type 6 was typically the fastest sinking line and would be expected to get down very quickly. This nomenclature is used for full sinking lines as well as sink tips.

The term "intermediate" has now generally come to mean clear sinking lines that have a slow sink rate. When I started fly fishing a million years ago all Type 1 sinking lines were indistinguishable from a Type 6 from initial appearances. The introduction of clear lines like the Cortland Camo opened up a new, stealthier approach to sub-surface fishing.

An intermediate does not have to be clear but the trend in lake fishing is to use these slower sinking. clear lines.

The advantage an intermediate has over a faster sinking line in some situations is angle of retrieve. Say for example the fish are intercepting damsel nymphs migrating to the cattails. The nymphs don't swim directly to the surface, rather they are swimming parallel to the bottom towards shore. A slow sink allows you to cast unweighted flies and mimic the wiggle, wiggle, pause motion of the nymphs much better than a faster sinking line would allow.

Intermediates are also great for shallow water fishing in heavy chop. The line will cut down below the waves allowing a natural presentation.

Of course in deep water you would prefer using a faster sinking line. That's why ideally a lake fisherman will be able to cover floating, shallow and deep water situations with three lines.

6. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Thanks Tom. Great explanation as to both the definition and usage.

I recently re-entered the world of fly fishing last year after a 25 year hiatus. To me, an intermediate line was a full sinking Type 1 or perhaps even a Type 2, while an intermediate sink tip was a Type 3.

I agree that the introduction of Camo lines has likely morphed the common meaning of an "intermediate" line as used in conversation. I appreciate your taking the time to help explain this.

Greggor

7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Sometimes I long for the good ol day's when I first started out and didn't know about or have all these options. Now my pack is full up with several reels, multiple spools, way too many fly boxes -- hell, it takes me 1/2 a day to get things sorted out for the start of the season! But I digress, sorry... all three lines you mention are good to have on hand for the eastern lakes, though I find myself using floating and TyIII for most everything. I just carry all the other permutations because my pack was looking a little empty ;)