Lake Martha (WB) 1/20

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by jimmydub, Jan 20, 2013.

1. jimmydub

jimmydub Active Member

Met up with Nick Clayton this morning to fish Lake Martha near Warm Beach. Freezing fog met us at the lake. We got on the water around 8:30, and started paddling toward the nearest section of wooded shoreline. There were some patches of ice as we went further, and also some feeding trout along the edges. Nick proceeded to pick up a nice little brown, then a rainbow, using his simi seal mini-leech. Not a bad start to his first day at Martha.

Surface action had died down, and insect activity diminished significantly just as the fog thickened enough to block the sun at around 9:30. After arriving at the destination, a slow hatch of chironomids started. No real action was to be found, and everything stayed slow until the hatched picked up. Around 11:30 the hatch picked up, size 14 or so midges, and before long Nick was into another fish. It proved to be a beautiful 18-19" rainbow, which was promptly released.

Besides the occasional take, I wasn't having much success at all. I had some nice takes early on with a size 8 simi leech, but no solid hookups. By the time the sun had come out and my brain had thawed, it was time to leave. Any longer and our feet probably would have fallen off. We headed back to the launch and called it a day around 1.

All in all, a great day on the water. It's always nice to take someone to a new piece of water, even if they proceed to skunk you. Also, it's awesome to fish with someone new for the first time. Thanks a bunch Nick for meeting up today, I had a lot of fun and look forward to doing it again soon.

2. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Way to get after it, boys. And you saw bugs!

3. Irafly

Irafly Bobber Downey Sr.

Media:
    Yeah, the mention of mid hatch made my heart palpitate a bit. Now how much better would it have fished out of a Pram.

Nice report and I'm glad you guys made it out.

In the future, you guys are welcome to borrow my pram if I'm not using it and you have a way to haul it. Nick knows how to contact me.

4. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Great report James. That sums up the day nicely. Thank you very much for taking me out and showing me this lake. It's always great to be shown a new piece of water by someone who has spent time on it and can offer some much needed tips- Such as where a nice shelf is located, and even better where the only spot of woody land to go to shore and pee!

I had a great time on the water even if the action wasn't too hot and heavy. Martha is an interesting lake. It's depth offers challenges I'm not used to. There was definitely quite a few chronnie's coming off, and I feel like some time spent figuring out good locations/depths/hatches could prove very worthwhile. I will definitely be bringing my type 6 line and fishing chironomids straight down next time, as most of the water we were fishing was deeper than the 22' of leader I had set up, and frankly I'm just not down with casting more than that.

Thanks again for being a great host. We will definiteley have to hook up again soon. I'm just about to get feeling back in my feet, so I should be good to go again soon. :confused:

5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:

Man, I was dreaming of my pram all day long. I really feel like there is a lot of promise in spending time focusing on vertical presentation techniques on this lake. I'm just not as comfortable doing so out of a tube. I get the impression there is some real treasures in that little piece of water, and it would be fun trying to figure out the puzzle.

6. jimmydub

jimmydub Active Member

Wow, thanks for the offer. I might just have to take you up on that some time, or we could get out there together. Fishing like a reclined frog is fun, but has its disadvantages.

You're very welcome. That fly you were using today was the ticket, I can't wait to get some tied up. Martha is a special lake, and it has me mesmerized. Even though I got skunked today, it's a little more added brain data for things that don't work or that I can be working on. There are so many different ways to approach the lake; the fish feed all over the place depending on what the conditions are and the timing of hatches.

I'm just glad the glass midges didn't come out in numbers today!

7. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

good report guys. feel your pain on finding a spot to pee on that lake. i always end up over by the old campsite down on the left.
    did you guys try down by the big trees on the east end ?
    will try to make out there in the next few weeks.

8. jimmydub

jimmydub Active Member

We were on the northern shoreline, the wooded area closest to the boat launch. There are some really big trees around that lake, sort of surprising to see some of the big old Doug firs that survived the earlier days of logging.

9. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Nick, I don't know of anybody that likes casting 22' of mono! It's easier in a tube or toon to strip out line and kick away instead of casting...still get to see the bobber go down! But sounds like a verticle presentation could be the ticket. Glad you got into some fish, browns are a plus!

10. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

jimmy, right. i know where you were.
    looking at the lake map, the deepest part is on the east end. with my tube and limited time, i dont get to fish that area much.