Lake Ozette suggestions?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Tim Garton, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

I'm going to be out on the Pen in a week with some friends doing some hiking. We will most likely be camping at Lake Ozette and doing day hikes from there.

I thought I might take my 5 wt and fish the lake a little. It will be pretty restricted fishing since I won't be take a watercraft. I kayaked the lake several years ago and camped on Tivoli Island. Big lake. Second biggest in the state, I'm told.

Any suggestions on what flys to use? I've got a dry line on my reel so That's what I'll be using. I've done searches on this site and others but info is pretty scarce and old (may not make it bad) or non-existant. I even checked the regs for Ozette on the WSDFW and Ozette is not even specifically listed.

What I have learned is that the lake has a lot of squawfish and some trout and cutts.

Any help would be appreciated. If no one knows anything I'll go flail away and report back what happens. :thumb:

2. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Isn't Lake Ozette on an Indian reservation? If that's the case, you might have to hire a reservation guide to fish their waters. Nonetheless, I hear the fishing is quite good.

3. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Ozette is not on the Res. The river is your best shot as the lake ( biggest natural lake in the state) is not stocked. check with the park rangers about info.

Oh. It's after labor day. better check the regs for Oly. national park.
    Just a thought.
    Jeff

4. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

I couldn't find the lake even referred to in the regs. I'll check with the rangers... good idea. They'd probably be the ones writing me a ticket if I transgressed.

5. doug rose

doug rose Member

Hi Tim--The lake isn't in the WDFW regs because it's entirely within ONP and is managed by the park. You can google the park's regulations, but I think the lake is catch-and-release for trout, and restricted to artificials with barbless, single hooks. There is little if any shore fishing at Ozette and no place to rent a boat. It's a really cool staging area for hikes to Cape Alava and Sand Point, but those are the only nearby hikes I can think of offhand. Your best bet for fly fishing is to drive back to the Hoko River, which you will drive along on the road from Sekiu to Ozette. There can be good numbers of cutts in there in the fall, and it is "fly only" during September and October. Last year the Hoko was kind of a bust because it was incredibly low in early autumn, but this has been a high water summer. You could run into an early pulse of sea-runs. Another option--if you can get away for a while--is to try to fish for cutts and silvers from the Clallam Bay Spit and along the beach between Clallam Bay and Sekiu. All my best--Doug Rose

6. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

Media:
    here is the olympic national park regs... they are always available online... but also check with the ranger when you get there to make sure there are no changes... i think there is a hotline number on the webpage

http://www.nps.gov/olym/upload/Fishregs_20072008.pdf

7. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

Media:

Lake Chelan is the largest natural lake in the state... next is lake washington... and third is ozette...

although both lake washington and lake chelan were altered by dams and level of water was raised.. in their natural states they were still larger than ozette.

8. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Doug knows the area better than just about anyone, so I don't mean to contradict him, but, I believe, the fly-only part of the Hoko is above the falls several miles up from Sekiu and requires a walk in that isn't necessarily obvious. However the lower river has good access at several sites and is likely to hold SRC.
    Dick

9. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    How is the Hoko above the falls? Any resident trout? I'm a sucker for fishing above natural barriers.

10. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Josh -
    The falls isn't a barrier to migration, although to look at it in low water one would think it might be. Apparently salmon and steelhead migrate over it with no problem. The WDFW designates it as the downstream limit of the fly-only stretch, probably for convenience and because the big pool below the falls is a favorite dunk and plunk hole for bait and gear guys. I tried once to access the fly-only section from upstream, following logging roads indicated on my Delorme Gazetteer, but ended up at a bridge wash out quite a ways upstream. The river in that area is small and so full of downed logs that casting very far is impossible and I don't think you'd have much chance of landing a steelhead even if you did hook one. Access from the lower end is the way to get in there, but the logging road gates have always been locked when I've been there, so it is walk-in only.

11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Yo Richard, the entire river becomes fly only in Sept and Oct.:D

12. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Jim -
    Thanks for correcting me. That's great to know. It's been several years since I've fished the Hoko. Maybe I should get back over there this fall!
    Dick

13. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

Thanks for all the input, guys.

Doug... yeah... I know there isn't much fishing from the shoreline there but thought I'd dabble a little bit anyway and see what happens. It's mainly a hiking trip with some folks who've never been to the coast. It will be a treat if the weather is clear. We plan to camp there and hit Shi Shi one day and Third Beach the next. Maybe take a stroll down Rialto if the evening is nice. I know the guy who runs the Lost Resort there at Ozette so I'd like to spend some bucks his direction if it works out.

I've done the Cape Alava/Sand Point hike several times. Was there this year for the cleanup. Huge dead sea lion on the beach. I didn't try to pack it out.:eek:

I've eyed the Hoko every time I drive over there. Always looks tempting and Rob, the Lost Resort owner, said they have some good fishing there. Maybe I'll sneak away and give it a shot.

Thanks again, all. If I get to fish I'll post the results.