Lake Sammamish fishing?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by SeanM, Sep 19, 2007.

1. SeanM

SeanM member

For the last month or so I have been heading back and forth over I-90 on the weekends past Lake Sammamish and maybe its just a simple coincidence that I'm noticing now, but I always see a ton of fishing boats collected at the SE corner of the lake at this time of year.

What are people fishing for in a boat down there? None of the boats are moving or creating wakes, so I can only assume they are fishing, but I'm not seeing any float tubers so maybe they aren't fly fisherman.

Anyone know?

2. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

3. Scott Keith

Scott Keith Member

Lake Sammamish offers a huge range of species to fish for. Be Jofus G is probably right, a lot of salmon come through Issaquah Creek. Sammamish is an excellent small mouth fishery. I've seen large rainbow/cutthroat caught in the 20+ inch range. I've caught smallies up to about 3.5 pounds. Whitefish are plentiful as are perch and bluegill. I believe there are also pumpkingseed sunfish available. The largest perch I caught weighed in at 2 lbs 2 oz. Carp are present at least on the South side of the lake, although I have not fished for them yet. I'm sure there are some form of catfish out there.

Scott

4. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

They are probably fishing for Chinook since the creek that leads to the hatchery empties in to the lake at that point.

As to no float tubes....... a 10 to 30 lb chinook would be at best a challenge on a float tube. But come to think of it if you switch your fins for water skis you could have whole bunch of fun catching chinook on a float tube.

5. Scott Keith

Scott Keith Member

I would also venture to say that nobody in the boats are fly-fishing for them. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else other than myself flyfish on sammamish...

6. EMPyre

EMPyre Erich with an H -Top Water Soldier-

Muckleshoot nets went in today at noon. Everyone was out there chasing boots. I know some people who had quite a morning.

7. Copper Jon

Copper Jon What a Jim!

I wouldn't fish for them and I would guess it's not even legal to (haven't checked the regs) but just an fyi that there are still a few kokanee in there as well, although they're in bad shape. I'm sure all these exotics, along with the development around the lake out there, have something to do with it:
    http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/watersheds/cedrlkwa/lake-washington-kokanee-status.htm

8. Dawgman

Dawgman Member

They are in there fishing for Kings. Mostly all river sleds fishing down 25-30 feet with flashers and red hooks. I have fished it a few times in the last few weeks and it is quite a sight watching 30+ pound fish almost jumping in your boat. Some are getting the hens to use for eggs for steelheading and you can get some decent meat if you find a fish that isn't too dark. I guess a lot are smoking the fish. They are also jigging with a candlefish and even buzz bombs.

I saw probably 30-40 fish caught in a few hours out there Sunday morning. Didn't see any of them on a fly rod.