Lake Sammamish Hatch

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by richard f lange, Mar 13, 2014.

1. In the UK the call them buzzers, a lot easier to spell and say too, I've heard several different pronunciations for cirono... charonam... charaonids... f'it buzzers. Easy :)

Dave

triploidjunkie likes this.
  2. But let us not forget bombers, the larger form of buzzers.

3. I wasn't sure why they call them "buzzers" in the UK until a midge hatch came off while I was fishing Mann Lake. The bugs were hardly "midge" sized chironomids ... these bugs were the size of large mosquitoes and looked exactly like skeeters... except without that blood sucking tube thingy.

They also sounded exactly like mosquitoes... exactly. Same buzzing sound after they hatched. It was a aha! moment for me.

They call midges buzzers in the UK because the larger ones... buzz.

4. They are Chironomids. I troll lake Samm and when the hatch is the adults are over every square foot of the boat. About a size 16 is the trick.

5. Hi yellowlab-

I remember running into exactly the same kind of chironomid emergence many years ago on opening weekend at Dry Falls Lake. This was back when the lake opened in late April. I was standing up casting in the canoe I had at the time, and happened to look down toward my feet, and there were literally hundreds of freshly emerged chironomids crawling around. I have no idea how the got there without my noticing them in flight, but it doesn't say much for my power of observation. ;)

triploidjunkie likes this.
  6. While those cutts love chasing salmon smolt a throat sampled revealed loads and loads of pupae. We typically go down 10-15' with the downrigger balls but the trick is to clip the release 100' or more behind the boat. I have caught them on the fly rod with a deep 7 Rio and baitfish pattern. I don't think anchoring and using an indicator would prove to be very successful as it tends to attract more of the local perch versus the cutts which you're probably seeking.