Lake Serene (by Mt Index) have fish?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Krystoff, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Krystoff

Krystoff Member

Does anyone know if Lake Serene has any fish in it? My wife and I will be taking a hike up there sometime soon and I was curious if anyone had ever fished it.

Someone we know said it was glacier fed and didn't have any fish in it but I know lots of lakes that are glacier fed that have fish.

Just checking, doubt I can fish it on the hike.

2. Fast Action Freddie

Fast Action Freddie Member

not sure about now - but a dozen or so years ago there were some smallish planters in there. to be honest, i can't remember if they were cutts or bows. but it was not devoid of fish. bring a light weight rod and some dries and enjoy a few takes.

3. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Dunno but at the very least I always bring a small packable spin rod and a few weighted spoons to "gather information" with. Most of these spots can't be effectively FF'd w/o a tube so why not...

4. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Media:
    Bring your rod if you can, I'm sure it has fish.

5. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yes, there is fish up there. They will take anything that you drop in the water.

6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

(Not to hijack the thread, but...) Hey Ford, you can cast a fly pretty far using a spinning rod with one of those plastic bubbles filled with water.
    I saw some guys with ultralight gear tossing flies 150 feet that way! Of course I might have some small spoons or spinners along, as well, except that I haven't gear fished for trout in over 5 years. I think I would just go with a bubble and fly now, as the metal hardware is heavier in a backpack. .

7. Caveman

Caveman Member

That way works great, I use it all the time. Hard to flyfish with all the brush up in Alpine lakes unless you have a raft. That lake is probably well traveled in the summer, you might catch a couple of fish but not as many as you would like.

Adam

8. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Yeah you can huck pretty much anything a farmer's mile with a spin rod. I'm more of a kastmaster guy myself...usually 4 or 5 of the 1/8 oz ones in a pill jar will work. They're cool since they cast forever + you can change out the hooks easily. I tend to use spoons since they're so well suited to spin rods and they're just plain fun if you can't FF. But that said, I might use gear once or twice a year and that's about it anymore...