Lake Tapps Report - ouch

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jeremy Cram, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Jeremy Cram Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Its rare that I fish with spinning gear anymore, but lake tapps just doesn't inspire me to flyfish. So, 5 friends and I took out his ski boat in search of tiger musky and smallmouth. In total we landed a couple dozen rock bass, 3 small mouth, and one big musky. The circus began when we tried to release the 40" fish. It put up a fight typical of a big fish who'd been caught before... lots of head shakes and one jump, but no running. The fish would do most of its fighting as we tried to de-hook it. I tried for the tail grab several times with no luck. Finally I got ahold of it and just before a picture was snapped it thrashed free, slashing a nice gash in my finger with its teeth then biting me in the leg. The finger got 5 stitches and the jeans got 2 holes, as did the boxer, and my thigh. I wish I'd caught it on the fly and I wish it hadn't kicked my ass, but it was a sweet first tiger story. Those things are no joke. Is the weak fight typical?

good luck,
    Jeremy:eek:
  2. tythetier Fish Slayer

WASHOUGAL, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    OUCH!!!! CONGRATS ON THE NICE FISH THOUGH!!
    I HAVE SEEN CARP IN THAT LAKE EVERY BIT OF 24". MAYBE THEY MIGHT INTEREST YOU IN USING THE FLY LINE OUT THERE.
  3. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Based on my experience yes... They tend to fight like hell for like 60 seconds then tucker out.... They are big, and it's cool to see them crush baits/lures on the surface, but endurance doesn't seem to be their strong suit.... I'm wondering if it's because they are more ambush type predators and just tended to morph into that kind of role....