Lake to take a kid to learn fly fishing?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by bramwessel, Aug 27, 2013.

1. bramwessel

bramwessel New Member

I'm an intermediate level fly-fisherman who frequents rivers and Puget Sound. Stillwater fans, what's a good lake near Seattle (excluding Lake Washington and Green Lake, reasonable driving distance) to take a friend and his 6 y/o son who are new to fly fishing? Just looking for shore access and a slightly above zero chance of a hookup or two, any species.

2. Dawg

Dawg New Member

I would think hard about taking them to Rattlesnake Lake, although a bit longer drive than you might want (near North Bend). The lake starts to fish well again as the temps cool, it has reasonable shore access, and after labor day not too busy. It is best fished with a small boat, but I have caught fish casting from shore. Good luck...

3. Bonefish Jack

Bonefish Jack Strictly FF

It seems to me that the goal would be for the child to catch fish using a fly. I suggest you consider going to a "pay" lake, where the catching is essentially guaranteed. I did this with my sons, and they had a great time, and learned to enjoy fly fishing.

4. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

You could also find a lake with a large panfish population or small bass.....As a kid I fished Thomas lake, a peat bog off 128th in Snohomish County. I don't think there is public access there anymore, but it had lots of small lmb, some crappie, perch and some nice cutts.

5. bramwessel

bramwessel New Member

Thanks for all these helpful tips!

6. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Take the kid to the piece of water you know best, the one you know how to fish the best. The idea is that you might be able to mentor him to some good water.

Then there's the other argument that says you should take him to a sleazy-easy bit of water that might get the kid hooked on easy trout. Sometimes too little effort bringing the maximum reward can make one take things for granted.

I don't know. A little struggle, a little mystery, a little education, a little reward. That much can create a lot of desire. Or, at least, make one appreciate the value of hard work.

Your call.

--Dave

Ron McNeal likes this.