Lake Tye Monroe

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Danielocean, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    Have any of you all fished this lake this time of year? If so, how was it? I just got a boat and want to start using it and that lake is right down the road. Would I be wasting my time with this peace of water? I also have never fly fished still water before.

Thanks

Dan

2. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

There never a waste of time fishing they have a kid derby there where they put in big fish I know some may still be smarter than the baiters go down to the end near the road an fish smart full sink line no trolling

3. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    I've never fished it either. But it would be worth checking the stocking report to see if it's had a plant of catchable trout this spring. If so, you have a reasonably good shot at hooking up even if you don't have a clue about fishing lakes. Give it a try. You might end up getting interested in the 100's of nice lakes available to fish in the state.

4. Danielocean

Media:
    If my info is correct. According to the wdfw, this lake gets stocked march - may

5. Mike Brown

Mike Brown New Member

I was there on a pontoon boat a couple weeks ago, on a brisk Sunday. Some folks were practicing spey casting at the park, and it was a nice scene. I trolled a black wooly bugger, and tried a couple soft hackles on a slow retrieve, but no joy. The lake is not particularly scenic, with cars zipping by and a pretty flat, suburban landscape, but I understand that it's been planted. See http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/255/. If it's just down the road, and you like to row, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Best of luck!

Mike

6. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    Here are the details:
    TYE LK (SNOH)
    Mar 04, 2014 Rainbow 1,523 2.1 Tokul Cr Hatchery

I have had better luck at Tye, Blackmans, and Gissburg after the lake temps come up a bit. But they are in there, so at the least you have a captive audience!

7. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    if it's still quite cold, just try fishing the shallows. Those will be the water that warms up first and where the biggest fish will be snooping about for food. Just look for anything that suggests fish food and fish that zone. The only reason to fish stillwaters are for the jumbo trout. Therefore, you have to assume that kind of mind-set. Think: JT!!!

--Dave

8. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    Dan,

As the saying goes..."You won't know if you don't try it", right?
    So if you do give it a shot, my advice?
    Retrieve your line in very slooow.

Danielocean likes this.
  9. Danielocean

Media:

Thaaaaaaaaaaaankyoouuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

lake tye will have its magic moments like every other lake in the area. I have done well there using carey specials & olive willys as well as some excellent bloodworm action around this time of the year. As the weather warms up the increase of swimmer & such can make that lake a zoo at times..

11. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Ah, yes, but, and there is always that ugly but, it is nice to have someplace to put your hook during those cold, dark, depressing days of winter. I would like to see more year round lakes for fishing, to take the pressure off of some of the premier lakes.

Opening day at the end of April produces some insanity to say the least. Maybe if that could be spread over a larger number of lakes it would not get so crazy.

bennysbuddy likes this.
  12. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    The state won't do it. Almost 100% of the funds for stocking and enforcing lakes comes from license sales and a major portion of those license sales is closely related to the traditional opener of lowland lakes (also a bump for the Basin Lakes opener). They don't want to do anything that might convince someone not to buy their license and fish on that one day a year. They know that we will buy our licenses no matter what so providing us with extra opportunities is low on their priority list.

If we want extra opportunities we will need to demonstrate that it is worth the effort. One idea is to establish a Selective Water Fishery Endorsement with the guarantee of course that more lakes are turned over to this type of fishing. Another is if fly clubs would take up even more efforts to introduce people to fly fishing through "free" classes. Free meaning with prove a purchased freshwater fishing license. Those are just a couple of ideas, otherwise the state formula is working for now.

golfman44 and doublespey like this.
  13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    That whole lake is shallow.

14. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Correct, Jim. It is a manmade impoundment. Probably not more than fifteen feet at the most.

15. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    But is it uniformly shallow? Like a cake pan?

In the middle of a very cold January, I notice a Lone Lake trout hiding in and amongst the shore weeds. It would dash out after my marabou leech, when it passed along the edge of the weeds--unfortunately, that would happen just at the end of my retrieve. I figure trout are in real shallow because they're looking for anything to feed upon. Stress on the word, "anything." I'd be focussing on shoreline shallows with any kind of structure/habitat that would offer food and shelter. Any logs, branches, overhanging brush, weed beds? You know: The kinds of places a gear chucker would avoid.

--Dave

16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Have you ever fished Tye lake. It's just a hole in the ground that is a few 1000 yards long but less than half wide. Last time I was there, the area around the lake was bare with just a little grass growing. It has a path all the way around . No structure to speak of.

17. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Wow. I stand corrected in my assumptions (meaning I haven't fished Tye...). Still, even if a lake that has a uniform bottom, there's likely something happening right about where you can't see the bottom. Light can warm the bottom there and help activate any kind of insect life that might be hiding there. Meanwhile, the fish will likely hide right about where you can't see them and they can't see you. I've tried that tactic before and it worked for me. I'd call that a form of structure. It's cover.