Lake Washington Bass

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by SteelieD, May 8, 2008.

1. SteelieD Non Member

In a van down by the river
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Bass seems to be a popular topic and I too have begun to think about expanding my "species horizons". I've searched here and outside this site and haven't found a whole lot of specifics regarding shore fishing for Lake Washington Bass. I would think that the arboretum area as well as behind UW (boathouse?) might hold some good lunchtime diversions. Am I right? What kind of timing are we looking at for bass? I gotta bellieve that the time is soon...

Thanks!
  2. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,153 / 1
    I used to catch bass with gear from the docks behind the crew house and in the cut back in the 80's.
    Folks catch bass from shore at Gas Works park and some of the smaller parks around Lake Union, again with gear. I saw a photo of a 5+ lb smallie caught from one of those small parks. Great fish!
    I've caught smallies from shore on flies at Stan Sayers pits near Seward Park. Most fish taken on large brown bunny leeches.
    I'll be out chasing bass this weekend, but not on LW.
    Good luck,
    Brian
  3. billkendrick831@msn.com Northsounder

Bellingham,WA
    I was just messing around with bass fishing until I caught a few,Man they are scrappers.I'll be targeting bass up here this weekend for sure.I'll second the Dumbell bunny leech for flies.I tied mine on with a loop knot to try to get a good jigging effect.I also had luck with a small plastic swimbait in rainbow patterns(3").Bouncing off the bottom was the ticket for me.I think the timing is now as the water warms up a little.Good Luck.
  4. Tylerflies New Member

Bellingham, WA
    I have caught some large bass under the dock at the end of madison street in Madison Park on a mepps spinner when i was young. I have also caugt small ones around foster island in a canoe. The water in the lagoon is pretty shallow, but it looks fishy and can be accessed along the foot path starting from the MOHI, but you probably knew that. In fact one of my first fishing memories was when I was canoeing in this area with my parents when i was sevenish. My dad was fishing with a spinning rod and a brown hackle tied below a bobber. He caught a really big fish, and gave the rod to me so I could play it. Somehow I lost the fish, and I remember he had to try really hard to hide his dissapointment so i wouldn't feel too bad. I imagine that it was a large bass. a brown hackle will catch anything.

I know nothing of flyfishing for them, so I cannot be of help there, other then if I was to target them, I would look around docks. Any bass that I have caugt, which have been very few, have been around docks. I would also, like the others said, use a bunny leech with some head weight. I imagine similar structure would be fishy as well.
    good luck.
    Tyler
  5. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    There's a lot of good bass water in that neighborhood. Bass are "structure oriented" fish and are easily found around edges, submerged plants and trees, lily pads and etc. If one had a boat/canoe to work those areas of shallow water that would be the ticket. Leeches, buggers, and poppers all work well. The water is probably a little cool yet but will be warming up with the rising daytime temps. In about 3-4 weeks the bass fishing should be turning on pretty good. They most certainly are a lot of fun on fly gear and not too bad on the dinner plate as well!
  6. Icanfly aka Matt

Seattle, WA
    I've been living down in Tucson, AZ for the past couple years and have as you might imagine been a bit restricted in my fishing options lately. That being said, one thing there is plenty of is bass fishing. I've learned a lot about fishing for them and have come to find that during the spawn, most of my bass come from areas with submerged grasses, especially right near shore. Actually, it seems like those areas produce consistently all throughout the spring, summer and fall. Down here right now the spawn is pretty much on its way out and I'm starting to see bass hanging around more solid structure like trees and brush, and they can be as close as 5 inches from shore. I've found that the more crazy I get with casting into the middle of things or with actually casting onto shore and dragging the fly into the water, the more hookups I get. I just look for pockets in structure that are just barely accessible to a cast and go for it. The best scenario I find is a 2-3 square foot pocket bordered by the shore and some kind of submerged log/brush. Especially with topwater. It's a blast when you make a nice cast into one of those spots with a frog or something and get a big bass to hit. I've had the best luck with epoxy zonker patterns, sundogs (local pattern a friend of mine ties) and divers/frogs. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you a few pics. Note - most of my experience comes from the same few lakes closest to my house...but it seems to carry over pretty well, at least for Arizona. Those Washington bass might be a different story.