Lakes that you can backpack into

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by RyanK, Jul 5, 2005.

1. RyanK

RyanK Member

I am looking for some help. Can any one suggest a lake to backpack into that they have had success fly fishing? I would appreciate any info that you could give.

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    What area? OP, N. Cascades, Mt Rainier, S. Cascades, Alpine Lakes Wilderness, etc, etc?

How far are you willing to go? Are you going to take a raft\tube or banking it only? Are you strictly looking for a lake or are you also interest in rivers\streams that might be good too?

There are some decent books out there that cover alpine lake fishing in the areas I listed and give a general idea of what fish may or may not be present. You can also check the WDFW site for some ideas as well. Then there are clubs like HighLakers and Trailblazers (or something like that) that you may be able to look up and call for good info.

But keep in mind that a lake that was hot one year might fish poor the next. Alpine lakes can be like that... Unless you get very good, up-to-date info on a lake, I'd recomend finding a hike that takes you past some skinny water and at least 2 or three lakes - then plan on doing more than a day hike... I like 2 night trips - with day hikes or over night trips, I almost always wish I had another day or 2...

3. RyanK

RyanK Member

I live in Renton. I am willing to drive 2-3 hours and I plan on taking my float tube in with me. I am definitely open to hiking into a river as well if you have any suggestions. I understand that lakes change from year to year but I am just looking for options of where to go. I plan on stay 1-2 nights.

4. 2 Much Fishin

2 Much Fishin New Member

Most high mountain lakes have trout in them and like you said from year to year they can vary substantially. I suggest just picking the length of hike you want to do and find a lake that fits your needs.

If you catch anything over 14" you have found a really good high mountain lake and you should not tell a sole :p
    People are very secretive about their high mountain hot-spots and when you find one on your own it just makes it a little sweeter.

Jed

5. Smooth

Smooth Guest

Get a map of the area above Salmon la Sac, WA (Above Cle Elum lake). Hike to Hyas lake with your float tube and catch Brookies. While you are back at camp eating dinner that night, look at the map, and plan your next trip to the many fish containing lakes on the map in that area!
    That is one of the most scenic areas you can imagine, with lots of lakes to get you started! Have Fun.

6. Native

Native Member

There are plenty of lakes to choose from. So, I don't mind telling you about Manashtash Lake over by Ellensburg. It's a nice hike in--about 4 miles with not nearly as much hiking pressure as the trails at the top of Snoqualmie get. But, the area does get a bit of ORV traffic. There are brookies to be caught. Do bring your float tube and your waders. I've only fished it in Early July but the water was frigid then. There is another smaller lake at the two mile point on the hike to Manashtash called Lost lake, which i've never fished. It's a pretty area and on the way there you cross over some very small creeks that might be fun to mess around in with your fishing rod.

7. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Media:
    I checked out the same area that Smooth is talking about a few weeks ago. I hiked pretty far up to a few lakes that both had lots of small cutts. I think most of the lakes in that area have trout in them. Very cool area, but quite a few people.

8. BjR

BjR New Member

I've always had a great time at Joan Lake at the end of Johnson Ridge north of HWY 2. Here is a link:
    http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=10&X=794&Y=6617&W=1

It's about a 5 mile hike in. not too bad. You get out of the car at about 6000 feet and it's a ridge walk to the lake with great views of Glacier peak and the cascades. Feisty brookies are abundant so if size matters you might be a little dissapointed but the beauty of the hike in makes up for lack of size in my book. Plus there is a boatload of blueberries and they seem to be coming out early this year.
    BjR

9. cwbraue

cwbraue Member

Media:
    Deception lakes off of hwy 2 have plenty of brookies up to around 11", at least they the two times I went there, but that was a while back. It's a beautiful area, the hike is 5 miles each way, but not too tough.