Lamiglas fiberglass blanks

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by JRSly, Apr 10, 2006.

1. I was wondering if someone could help me out. I was looking for a project this summer and I was thinking of building a fiberglass rod. I have built multiple rods, so it isn't anything about rod building, I was just wondering about the blank. I have cast one of my friends old fiberglass rods that is a Lamiglas, it is a 6'6" 3wt, it was a lot of fun on a little creek. Well I was looking at getting one of their blanks, I don't want to spend much, just something to play around with, but my question is has anyone cast the new Lamiglas Spring Creek rods? I was wondering how it compares to the honey colored one? It is a little more money and it is a different color but other than that I know nothing about it. They are both found at MudHole, $66.00 for the honey colored blank and $70.00 for the new one. Any thoughts or input would be great, thanks. Oh, and by the way I am planning on building a 6'6" 3wt.

Thanks in advance,
    Sly

2. I built the honey colored one this winter, but alas, I have had no chance yet this year to fish with it. I have only lawn cast it. I don't know about the newer blank, but I would suspect it would be about the same. Honestly, I don't care much for the color of the older blank, but it does remind me of the old fiberglass rods we used as kids. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I bought mine from Anglers Workshop which is based in Woodland, Washington and have nothing but great things to say about them there. Plus they are right next door to the Lamiglas factory.

Good luck, you'll love your rod which ever way you go. I've never built a rod I didn't absolutely love.

Wayne

3. Not sure if you have your heart set on fiberglass but you can pick up 6'6" 2wt forcast kits between $40 to $50. I built two of them and they are a blast to fish and the price is hard to beat.

Josh

4. Not to shy you away from Lamiglass, but to give you some variety and options to research with have you given any thought to Mike Mcfarland or Steffen Bros.? These fellas are at the top of their game, IMHO, in the glass world. I know Steffen Bros. sells his rods in blanks as well as finished products.

I personally think the old lamiglasses don't look as nice as the latest ones.

:cool:

5. Thanks for the input everyone.

Wayne – I was actually planning on getting it from either Anglers Workshop or MudHole, oh and you need to go use that rod!

Josh – Yeah, I am kind of set on glass. I have a 7’6” 2wt St. Croix SCIV that I built last year, so I would like to try out fiberglass. I loved casting my friends, but thanks for the info. I will need to remember that because I told my brother I would help him make his first rod and he wants something light.

Scott – I have looked into their rods, but like I said I don’t want to spend much. The Steffen Bros. Blanks start at $120 where the Lamiglass blanks start at $66

Thanks again for the info and like you I also like the look of the newer blanks better than the old. From what has been said on here it seems like they are similar casting so I might as well spend the extra couple dollars ($4.00) and get the one that looks better.

Thanks,
    Sly