Landing Net for Rivers

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Mrs. G, May 8, 2014.

1. Mrs. G

Mrs. G Mrs. G

I am looking for a light weight landing net for use when wading in rivers. Potentially sized for Dolly Varden or Steelhead. The goal is light and easy to carry, and easy to grab and use quickly. Any suggestions?

2. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

3. the_chemist

the_chemist New Member

fredaevans likes this.
  4. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

Those aren't very good wading nets, in my opinion. I'd put those in a boat, though. I always fish for steelhead with a net stuck to the side pocket of my backpack. I used this net this steelhead season: http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Sho...Net-with-Telescoping-Handle/product/10210368/

It's compact, light, has a steelhead sized hoop, rubber bag, and the folding components are all metal. It's light years beyond other similar nets I've had. When I hook a fish and I'm ready to land it, I plop my pack on the bank, or swing it around and unstrap the net. It can be unfolded easily in one hand while fighting the fish with the other. This baby's ugly, but it's all function.

jake-e-boy likes this.
  5. the_chemist

the_chemist New Member

Yea I've seen those at the river and they are pretty handy. One of these days I'm going to have to spring for one. For the price though, steepandcheap is hard to beat. I agree the folding nets are way more functional.

Edit: For the money though, I'd go with this folding net.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/23303/frabill-hiber-net

6. Mrs. G

Mrs. G Mrs. G

7. porterHause

Nice choice, but did you check out Fisknat? You could get a custom made exotic hardwood net for that price, and he's based right here in good 'ol WA.

Grab a magnetic release clip and strap it to your back...then you're good to go.

8. Mrs. G

Mrs. G Mrs. G

Yes I am a big fan of Fisknat! I have the Steelhead net and keep on my pontoon. I am looking for a light option for this case. The magnetic release is a great idea. I am going to look for one of these!

9. porterHause

Fair enough. Carry on then :)

Mrs. G likes this.
  10. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

I bought a 3 pack of landing nets for just $2.

[​IMG]

Seriously, a cheap old bandanna is perfect to tail a fish. Get it wet and the grip on the fish is plenty strong. Plus its much less harmful than our oily hands on the thing if you're planning on releasing. An obvious downside is the lack of reach. I snapped the tip of my spey rod last summer because I reached for the fish without stripping out enough line like an amateur. A net helps combat this, so if thats what you're going for then get one of the folding ones above.

jake-e-boy likes this.
  11. CLO

CLO Boats and cohos

12. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

I was actually trying to explain this great idea for a collapsible, tetelescopic triangular net to a friend of mine recently, then he told me a week later that he saw them online. It was the exact same concept as this one.
    Jeez, why is everyone always copying me in advance!?

13. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

Anybody make one of those sling style nets? I think it would be great in the boat, nice and compact. Gotta have a buddy and might be tricky actually getting a hot fish in there??? especially getting them to stick their fins out the little holes

[​IMG]

jake-e-boy likes this.
  14. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

they would work equally well as a hammock at nap time

15. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

But wet hands also lead to more flopping and squeezing, so i guess its a trade off. I prefer a net when available, but I might start keeping a bandana around just in case. I just hope someone doesn't think I'm trying to start a new fishing gang

16. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

I keep both red and blue bandanas with me depending on the culture of the junkies on the stretch of the sky that I'm fishing

the_chemist and sopflyfisher like this.
  17. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

What would you say are good dimensions for a steelhead net. I saw those wetfly nets and my buddy has one. However, the basket looks pretty small.

18. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I looked at all those nets in the various links. Nice, but too damn small for steelheading. I think overall that a net is simply not practical for a wading steelheader.

Sg

sopflyfisher and golfman44 like this.
  19. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

I also find a net very unwieldy so I use a homemade version of a 'Landing Hand'. I find the mesh on the real ones to be too stiff and scratchy. I made my own with a super soft mesh bag like you'd use for organization in your pack or suitcase. I picked a size just a bit bigger than my hand with fingers spread apart.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399753352.265803.jpg

I removed the drawstring and replaced it with thick shock cord. The shock cord is totally inside the hem and the ends slightly overlap. The shock cord serves one function - it makes a 'hoop' to keeps it open so I can just slide my hand in but still allows me to scrunch it up in my pocket or normally, tuck it under my wading belt. I put an old zinger on it so when I am about ready to land a fish, I simply pull it out and stick my free hand in as the zinger keeps it at waist level. I wet it before touching the fish but it's softer than any net I've seen and still provides a firm grip.

Bob Triggs, Salmo_g and Pat Lat like this.
  20. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

The way things have been going for me lately,I don't have much need for a net. I guess I need to find the directions to another river besides the stilly and skagit.

Mrs. G and golfman44 like this.