Lanyards - How many of you guys wear them?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Codioos, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Codioos Active Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    I always see a guide or a large bearded lumberjack on the cover of a fishing magazing sporting one. I bought one a few years ago (Dr Slick?) when I was in Port Townsend. I just never put the damn thing on when I go out. Seem like it would get in the way.

So I'm curious who uses them and under what kind of conditions do you use them? Chasing steel, trout, or ? They look like a minimalist tool which suits me now that I ditch the vest and I guess that is why it's on my brain.

Care to share?
  2. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +285 / 1
    i use mine but for only 2 things, forceps and nips. the essentials. ill throw the flybox/tippet holder on in the summer when goin light.
    Bill Aubrey likes this.
  3. greenwater Member

Western, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I really like lanyards. I first used one on a 3-4 day hike in trip (saved a bunch of weight over the vest) and found that I liked it so much I use it most of the time now. Did not use while steelheading. I use it a lot on float tubing on lakes also so that it's easier to have a life vest on.
  4. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,010 / 0
    I love mine. It's got nippers, forceps, floatant, a drying patch, a bottle opener and a Tie Rite. Everything else either goes in a pocket or it stays home.

K
  5. RustE drifting about

Great Lakes
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I use a Morning Star lanyard during steelhead season: two spools of tippet material, nippers, and a foam fly patch. There are still a few 'extra' hasps where I have not yet decided what else to add.

Forceps are kept on a retractor attached to the waist pack; mostly because of weight.

Not sure I would like the idea of three to five spools of tippet on this lanyard during trout season.
  6. Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Vashon Island, Wa.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Mine is home made. (Red thin line) it has: leader straightener, tie-fast nipper nail knot tool and forceps. I wear it whenever I fish.
    Griswald
  7. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +533 / 0
    I guess I need a lesson. The more items I have that are loose on me, the more my shooting line seems to get wrapped up! Last year or the year before, my shooting line just ripped my glasses off and into 3 feet of saltwater I was standing in! I think I have a pretty aggressive casting style so that may be the deal. If something is "loose" near me, look out!! Twang.....my line will catch it! :)
  8. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,389 / 0
    I'm not into jewelry. Lanyards look like jewelry. And I don't like weight hanging around my neck. Lanyards hang around the neck. No lanyard here. If I see a grizzled manly man wearing a lanyard, I wonder why he chooses to wear a necklace.

Sg
  9. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,168 / 1
    Tried one a long time ago but didn't like it. It hate having stuff hanging
    around my neck or flopping around if I'm hiking. As I've gotten older less has become better for me in regards to these kinds of things while fishing.
  10. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +677 / 2
    No way I'd use one. I don't want more loose crap in front of me to snag on fly line or branches. That's what vest and jacket pockets are for.
  11. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    I used one every time out last year, even when wearing my vest. I found it handy for tippet and nippers. Beyond that I am not certain how much I will use it this year. Oh and another plus, it was handy on a drift boat.

Stew
  12. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +436 / 0
    I have and use one, store purchased, but I opened it up and let my daughter decorate it some. She put some extra touches on it, some blue fish beads, and a few other colored beads. ;) So much better than a vest IMO.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  13. formerguide Active Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    Ratings: +723 / 0
    I'm a lanyard guy myself. I use a Morning Star given to me by the owner, I can't recall her name. She used some special fish-shaped beads she got in the Carribean somewhere. I use this, and the smallest Fishpond pack which only carries a single box. I use this setup for everything I chase, from trout to bass to bonefish. Minimal weight and forces me to choose only the essentials. Additionally, I like having my tippet and hemos and nippers available immediately and without having to dig for anything...

Dan
  14. surfnsully Active Member

Happy Valley, OR
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I started using mine about four years ago and have not used a vest since. I use it for either boat fishing or walking with a small fanny pack.
    Kent Lufkin and Porter like this.
  15. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +436 / 0
    You said fanny pack?
  16. YAMMY Member

Abbotsford B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Used one untill one day running the river in jet boat bent over to pick something off floor and the lanyard caught on oar lock-nearly crashed boat-not since have I used one.
    Jim Wallace and dryflylarry like this.
  17. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +95 / 0
    Definitely not the big ones that hold half of what I put in my vest. I have cord around my neck with my nippers and an old abel perfect tool. That is it.
  18. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    There's no way I could get away with it. I carry way to much shit with me, and all that shit that hang's. I'm glad that shit don't tinkle, ide sound like a cow.
    Jim Wallace and dryflylarry like this.
  19. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +612 / 1
    Tried one, but it wasn't for me. Still like my waist pack... an upgrade from my fishing vest days. Several of my guide friends use them, but that makes sense given all the tippet management, fly changing, etc. they do as part of their job.
  20. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +467 / 0
    I use one when I'm in my float tube and I like it a lot, everything is at hand and easy to get too. I would hate it for anything else.