Lanyards - How many of you guys wear them?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Codioos, Mar 27, 2013.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

So, can someone load a good photo on here of all the crap hanging on them? Seriously, I suppose I should consider this, as I never pay attention to other fly fisherman's "trinkets" hanging from their necks. I wanna see this conglomeration!!!!!! Post it! :confused: Convince me! You can teach an old dog new tricks, but I'm tired of the quacking. SHOW ME this ultimate equipment that you rave about!! :rolleyes: I want to see these adornments and ornaments for men!

2. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

I like my vest!

3. dryflylarry

Yeah, so far I like my vest too, or my sling pack. But, ya know, I bet some of these lanyards are just "darling".

4. kmac

kmac Active Member

I thought about changing from a fishing vest to lanyard, but for many of the previously stated reasons I decided not to and instead went with a small chest pack. I was really glad I had it yesterday when hiking through brush and wading on the upper Yakima. My biggest concern with a lanyard would be getting it caught on brush or fly line and it seems like it would be in the way every time you lean forward.

5. GAT

GAT Active Member

These are pretty ;) :

[​IMG]

This one is scary:

[​IMG]

This one looks heavy:

[​IMG]

6. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Here I was thinking that only superstar cover picture fisherman put these things on right before a money shot. I am now using the Patagonia Stealth Atom sling pack and I dont think I will ever use my vest again, and thats why I was thinking of the lanyard again.

Thanks for the pictures GAT; yup mine is the Dr Slick store bought one but I took all the heavy crap off of it. Maybe I'll thow it on tomorrow...

7. GAT

GAT Active Member

A vest can be a pain in the back. My trout and steelhead river vests are far too heavy with assorted overkill fly boxes and crap so after a few hours of casting, my back is killing me. I know it is the vest because if I take it off, the pain disappears after a half hour or so.

Fortunately, I've switched to stillwaters and keep all the heavy assorted overkill crap in the pontoon boat pockets... I only wear a vest because it is a CG approved PFD and gives me someone to attach my nippers and hemostats.

So while the lanyards are really pretty with the beads and all :D , I think I'll stay with my vest for stillwaters.

8. RustE

RustE drifting about

Will be making a few changes in the near future.

lanyard.jpg

Eyejuggler likes this.
  9. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

WTF is a lanyard looks like some hippy necklace :rolleyes:

Jim Wallace and dryflylarry like this.
  10. JE

JE Active Member

I wear one and find that it looks particularly stylish with my puffy coat and flat brimmed hat.

I actually do wear one - attached to it are 3 spools of tippet, nippers, floatant, chapstick. I tuck it securely out of the way behind my Richardson Chest fly box. And wear a day pack if i need to carry a lunch or etc. My system of choice for around 10 years now. My vest got hung up on branches and stuff while brush beating way more.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  11. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Because, like krusty, he is comfortable with his manhood. However, that being said, krusty wouldn't be caught dead wearing a necklace. Not that there's anything wrong with it!

I do like my waders with the gortex butt-ruffles, though.

12. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I have a classic fly vest that is taking up space in my closet. I think I've worn it about 5 times. I might wear it again sometime. Its not bad, but it seems kind of excessive. Since I fish for several different species with all kinds of gear, I found that I always emptied the vest and hung it in the closet, so it was never "ready to go," anyway.
    Seems like I prepare differently for each fishing trip, depending on many various factors.

I'm often fishing from a boat, and I usually have my fishing pfd on, which has pockets and atachment points. I just clip my hemostats (has scissors, so I don't need a separate nipper) somewhere on the pfd, or on a wader strap if I'm wading. A couple of spools of tippet, floatant, and a couple of small fly boxes (one dry, one for wet, nymphs and streamers) will fit in shirt pockets or the front pocket on my waders. I usually have a small dry bag or pack along in my canoe or kayak, so I keep most of my stuff in there.
    If I'm in a boat, I just leave the pfd on when I get out and wade, unless its a hot day, in which case it stays in the boat, near my day pack that has all my stuff in it. I can see how you folks on the dry side would like a simple lanyard set-up, since it seems like its often way too hot to wear a vest over there.
    I have a folding knife on a lanyard that I loop onto my canoe seat so that its in reach when I'm paddling, and won't sink to the bottom in the unlikely event that I capsize. I also have a sharp emergency knife lanyarded with a bungee inside a pocket on each of my pfds, and i try to avoid using those so that they will be sharp if I ever need them.
    In a canoe or kayak, everything gets leashed, except when I'm on smaller lakes that forbid gas O/B motors. (Some power boaters are even worse than bus drivers! Yeah, I said that.)
    Sometimes I have my camera hanging from its strap around my neck, and I tuck that behind my pfd or have it hanging inside my fleece, so it doesn't swing out when I lean forward.

I also have a roll-top dry-bag fanny pack that's great for surf fishing or wading on rainy days. I don't have to worry about dunking it when a sneaker wave hits me, or if I'm wading thru or across a deeper run.

13. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

I just throw my boxes in my waders between the top of the wader and the wading belt

14. dryflylarry

I kind of like these!!!
    il_fullxfull.384027955_gibr.jpg wine-necklace.jpg

15. GAT

GAT Active Member

I need one for an ashtray to rest my cigar while changing fly patterns...

16. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Larry,
    Take the first pic and change it to a flask lanyard and I'll convert........;)

Jim Wallace and dryflylarry like this.
  17. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

HAHAHAHAHA. You guys break me up.

What is wrong with a coat pocket. How much gear do you need?

A rod, reel, line, leader and fly. Add in an extra fly or three and a cold beer in your back pocket. Good to go. I never use a net because I never catch fish. C & R is for newbies. Just don't catch and then you don't have to worry about the rest of it.

But some of those lanyards (Hippy necklace?) would look nice with a floral shirt, shorts, and some sandals. Maybe a palm hat and a drink with an umbrella for effect.

Krusty likes this.
  18. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Just use one of these. I wonder if it comes with a flat brim?
    [​IMG]

19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

To catch fish I don't have to get very far from my truck. I keep all my junk on the front seat so I only have to reach across to pick something out of my fly box. If you know me you would understand why I do it that way. I don't move around very good anymore. It sucks to be old.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  20. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Yup, and nowadays I mostly fish with my fat old ass in a kayak...plenty a beer within easy reach.

In fact...given a sufficient quantity of cold beer on board....I don't really give a rat's ass if I catch any fish. I'm quite satisfied to look good flogging the hell out of the lake.

Kent Lufkin likes this.