Lanyards

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jamie Wilson, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    Thinking of using the lanyard instead of a vest/man purse/satchel/ or other thing to use on the river. Anyone have any insight here??
    I'm thinking it would be easy to make one.
    My issue is the more capacity I have the more shit I bring - but I use the same few items time and time again!! May as well leave the non-use items at home.
  2. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    I use one for lakes and think they work great because your boxes are in the pockets of your tube or toon and you only need a few tools close at hand... Might work for the salt, but you need even less crap so it's easier to just hook your clippers and hemo's on a zinger, and I only use one medium box, stuck in a pocket. Rivers...forget it, I need to carry too many things and too many boxes. But I know where you're going, I think we all carry more than we need...seems like
    I go though this ever year or so and it never seems to work, good luck whittling down the inventory.
  3. Idaho steel Active Member

Clearwater
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    I love mine. I've made a couple different ones I use for various applications. Especially for back country fishing where I am hiking/fishing with a back pack on, it's mighty nice to have everything accessible. I do have a commercial one with a tippet spool holder which is a pretty nice feature. However, I think it's be pretty easy to scrounge some stainless or aluminum round stock and a couple large split rings, and make your own tippet holder. The lanyard itself is super easy. Any craft store ought ought to have whatever you need, minus the snap swivels.
  4. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +496 / 2
    I use mine all the time for trout fishing, particularly when I'm doing small stream stuff or wet wading and don't want to carry much.
  5. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    they don't look that difficult to make
    you could have a few depending upon what you were fishing
  6. formerguide Active Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    Ratings: +756 / 0
    [IMG]

See if this works...

Dan
  7. formerguide Active Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    Ratings: +756 / 0
    Yay, it worked... Anyway, to the above, I always carry a lanyard and a single, small chest pack, the smallest one that Fishpond used to make. I can carry more than enough gear for a day. Flats, steelhead, trout, stripers, you name it, it is really all I need. I clip a small water bottle to my pack (I wear the pack slung back around my non-casting shoulder, out of the way.) If I need a net, I just stuff it under my wading belt.

Makes me more selective of my fly selection when loading my boxes, easier to haul around, I'm never missing anything because I have a minimal amount to start, easy to identify and keep track of as well. The above also has shot, extra leaders, and more still in the pack, it all fits in a very small "footprint."

Dan
  8. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +844 / 1
  9. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    I use my lanyard when I am Bluelining for the day and use my fanny pack for my lunch and drink. I was a vest user for many years until I tried my lanyard and will never go back
  10. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I love mine, especially when I live in places that I don't need waders to fish... just hop out of the car in the XTs with the lanyard
  11. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    They are easy to make but do it for the satisfaction, not to save money. You won't save much and can easily wind up spending more.

I prefer the one I made, and carry it, instead of my old bought one, even though the one I made was mainly intended for saltwater fishing.
  12. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    They work great but Ive found I still need a place for fly boxes, camera, water bottle, wallet, phone, Toilet Paper, flashlight, etc. so the use of one didn't remove the need for everything but a fishing shirt or jacket for me. They just keep my clippers, floatant, etc. close at hand.
  13. gbeeman Active Member

Kennewick WA
    Ratings: +35 / 0
    Derek is spot on. Without a quick release (fusable link) the lanyard is a recipe for disaster!

GBeeman
  14. Mark Kulikov Active Member

Polson Montana
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    I faced the same question a few weeks back and picked one up. I've found they are good for short day trips on the river; however, I also found the small daypack comes along as a place for boxes etc when I tend to venture further down stream. My issue was a hurting back after a full day of wearing a loaded vest. I like the lanyard as it keeps the tools most used close at hand where I dont have to dig for them. What I've found most convienant is those unscheduled quick stops along the river. I can just keep the lanyard and a small box of flies in the glove box and I'm ready.
  15. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    I find that the 'workspace' while fishing in a kayak is small, due to competing activities (paddling), limited cockpit mobility, etc. The lanyard seems like a great way to put the "90" percent stuff in the "10" percent space.

Edit: I also like my lanyard while on the beach with a backpack on. Again, the same concept....lesser used stuff in the backpack (lunch), upfront stuff on the lanyard. My fishing is kayak oriented, so my vest is a PFD as well....but......I am comfortable with a light backpack and a lanyard.