Last Minute SRC Offering

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jay Allyn, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Bellingham/Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm going to be fishing at Anderson Pt. on Colvos Paggage, Purdy, or Case Inlet at Victor for SRCs this evening. I'll be starting at Anderson Pt. around 5:30-6 and work my way west until I find fish. If you are out there look for a 16 year old with a darkred hat on and say hi.
  2. rockfish Member

Manchester, Wa
    I wouldn't be to boastful about where your fishing all the time for these, purdy is one thing but dont dont turn the other spots into a go to like purdy, better yet, say your fishing at purdy all the time but fishing somewhere else, thats what I do, cause your gonna bring crowds and fishing reports to these otherwise empty spots and piss some people off.

catch and release wild sculpins
  3. TomB Active Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    what rockfish said!
    -tom
  4. mat1226 Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    What the kid said!

Mark
  5. Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Bellingham/Puyallup, WA
    Chris the older boys are picking on me! :bawling j/k

Well if it makes you guys feel any better, there were no fish, seriously. This was more of an offering for anyone that new were they are. All you need is a map to find them anyway(a good one). These spots are also listed in the SRC article on the site.
  6. Keep up the informative posts.

LoopHiTech
  7. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Rockfish has a good point.

It wasn't so many years ago that the SRC's were in serious decline. Finally the numbers are starting to come back but are still a long ways from what they were in the past. Yes the maps show all sorts of spots but to post on the internet ones successes or intentions is not wise. Sure share with friends privately and do so wisely.

As an example of what this fishery can be I will go back to the early 70's. There were several places that a person could expect an average cutt of 18 inches and catch 10 to 15 on a tide change and some of those would be pushing well over 20 inches! This fishery is starting to rebound. Hopefully it won't get over pressured again and some wisdom from the past will influence the future.

Personally I would like to see all serious sea run fisherman abstain from fishing for cutts until the middle of July to allow them to refuel themselves. But this is a personal thing and I cann't expect anyone else to do so.

Dave
  8. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +301 / 0
    Rockfish makes so good points. Reading the water and finding little know spots for SRC is half the fun when fishing for SRC. The good locations take some work to find and the consistently hot slots usually have only enough room for one boat or 1-2 shore fishermen. So these locations are kept quiet by those who find their "own home water" SRC spots.

Giving out knowledge about techniques, what SRC fishing activity is happening in Puget Sound, and flies for SRC is great and should be encouraged.
  9. wbugger Member

Hey Rockfish how is the bassin' going? I bet your slaying them.

My buddy and I were up at Neah Bay two weekends ago. Between the two of us we caught and released probably over 50 black rockfish in about a three hour period. We were in a boat right in the middle of a good sized kelp bed when all of the sudden these rockfish are coming clean out of the water chasing bait. They were all over the place!!! At one point you could see 6 rockfish in the air at the same time. All you had to do at this point was cast to the opening in the kelp and hold on!!!

These were some good sized rockfish. My friend even nailed a 27 inch ling cod which he kept.

It was great fun.

Have a good one.

Todd
  10. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    With so much open water in this state. I don't see why people get up tight when sombody mentions a spot where they fish. I don't see anything wrong with what the young guy said. He was nice enough not to mention what rock to stand on to fish which was the right thing to do.

I get jumped on for some of the same reasons and these places that I talk about I've been fishing them for 40 years and so have 100's of other people. I don't really think that there is anyplace so secret anymore. That not only you know about it buy 40 other people do also.

Of all the spots that I hear about on this site,I just file the info away but I don't think that I will ever visit them as I already have far to many places to hit already. So you can talk about that Purdy area all you want because I will never get there.

Jim
  11. cascade kid New Member

I feel the reason you don't see a problem with people telling others exactly where to fish is that you don't fully understand the situation. Just a few people can turn a peaceful, productive experience unpleasant. Any sense of isolation from others is lost. There are, and have been many of us who have been quietly and passionately learning about many of our local fisheries for a long time. We do not guide, we do not work in fly shops, we do not write for Frank Amato Publications. We do it for our own satisfaction and to share what we know with a very few trusted friends.

The fact is, in this large population center of several million, the is only one reason to divulge such explicit info over the web is EGO. You know, to let everyone else know that you are OK and that you can fish. These people are I believe the extreme minority but can be very in-your-face and aggressive. This is why we seem to hear from them so often. I do understand the perspective of the young man who started this thread, as there is a learning curve here. As time passes, motivations change. For most of us anyway. Just my opinion.

James
  12. mat1226 Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    IMHO, for someone to tell someone else why they do not understand a situation is the height of ego.

Some of you folks would be better served if you just let some of these threads go and not answer them in the first place.

What I mean by that is don't respond at all. Let the thread go away. By responding to the original post with a holier than thou attitude you just alert people to what you fear most. Notoriety of your spot you hold dear.

I think most every place you hold dear and secret has probably been talked about on this site. Let the thread die and hold your piece. Another topic will soon take its place.

If you truly had no ego involved as you tell others they do, you would send the "offending party" a private email and discuss it behind closed doors.

My first thought to this thread was to look at the places on the map and file them away. Maybe some day find myself there but probably never will. Too many other things going on. So I never even looked them up on my maps. Maybe I better, but I probably won't.

Mark
  13. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    I understand the problem. I didn't fall off the boat yesterday. But you got to stop and look at where he was coming from. There are sites galore telling you about where to fish for sea run Cutts. Go to the home page here and there are several articles there on fishing for sea run cutts. I don't think that there is anyplace on the Sound that hasn't been fished at or visited by fly fishers.

And as for locations for places to fish. I have given out many places to go on the wet side of the mountains. Without so much of a thank you from several people. Most people thank me but they do it with email.But there are some that don't.

I'll shut up now as I'm getting down off my soap box.

Jim
  14. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,747 / 0
    I don't even know where those places are. Don't care either. I don't have enough life left to fish all the places I do know about.

My friend says, as we are walking down the trail worn 6 inches deep by all of feet that had tread on it. "Keep quiet about this place. It is my secret fishing hole." "Ok" I say "I won't tell a soul." :beathead
  15. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    Not all those feet are still walking that trail. People come and go, and many of us secretly hope that some will move on and fewer new faces show up. R. Stevens is right on in his post.
    I have even met a couple of local flyfishers who won't even privately share the patterns they have developed. They keep them a secret out of fear that if "everyone" starts using them locally, the SRCs will become conditioned to them and those patterns will then lose their effectiveness. When I had the audacity to ask what flies they had some recent success with, they just grinned and shook their heads..."Ha, ha...you WISH you knew!" they said. I admit I was a bit peeved, but I had to laugh as I respect their desire for secrecy. I'm doing O.K. on my own, anyway, thanks to this board, the reading and research I have done on the subject, and alot of trial-and-error.
    I might share my favorite spots in an estuary with someone privately, but as was stated earlier in this thread, alot of good locations can seem crowded with only one or two more boats working them. My favorite spot off a beach on the NE O.P. has room for only 2 or 3 at one time, and is much better fished alone.
    My spots aren't any better than alot of others, and not as good as many anyway. I go to them because they are familiar, nearby, and convenient.
    All that said, I have noticed that a smattering of SRCs are now starting to show up in the estuaries here in the Twin Harbors area, moving in with the high tide and then back out again. Its alot of fun hunting for them and even more fun to find 'em. I've felt lucky just to bring one nice one to hand each trip. This is not a numbers game out here.
    Good Luck! Jimbo
  16. Nick Andrews New Member

Bremerton, WA, USA.
    Give me a break; some of you people drive me crazy. The place mentioned is in the article on the site about SRC's. A very good one I might add. It is the one I read over two or three times before going out and catching my first SRC last weekend. If you really wanted to keep it secret why didn’t you ask Chris to take it off the site? Not only is it on this site in the article, but if you do a search it is in more than one previous tread regarding SRC’s. Lighten up. If you are that worried about jerks showing up where you are fishing, then stay home because you are bound to run into them every once in awhile. It is just not worth the effort. Why don’t some of you quit being such elitist and enjoy this sport like the rest of us. Also just grow up, sometime I think that are young friend is more mature than the rest of you.
  17. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    nrandrew,
    I'd be glad to take you fishing and share some of my favorite spots with you, or any other member of this board, for that matter (well, maybe not G.W. Bush supporters). I just don't want to broadcast them on an open forum on the internet. My buddies would hang me hide on the shed, Ned, and then throw darts at it, if I did. I actually envy you people who live closer to the better year-round beach fishing for SRCs in the Sound and Canal and up around Port Townsend. (Long drive for me).
    These sucky-mud-bottomed estuaries on the South coast are hard to fish effectively from the beach, and we must wait until late June before the SRCs even begin showing up, and then go after them in boats. The fishing improves as the Summer progresses into Fall, and then the SRCs begin going up out of the estuaries and into the free-running rivers.
    Send me a pm or e-mail me at jawznw@techline.com and we can arrange to go fishing. Its not the best, but it is always a nice electric canoe ride. Starting right now I am working every day until after the 4th of July, but I may sneak away on Th or F it it drizzles.
    The fishing is much better after the middle of July, anyway. Hikepat and a couple other guys took me up on this offer last year around the 4th, but it was too early and the fishing wasn't that good. It was too sunny and too many holiday people...I usually only go if there is a cloud cover, or when the tide changes are early or late in the day... better if it is rain showers or drizzling.

Jimbo:thumb
  18. Nick Andrews New Member

Bremerton, WA, USA.
    Jimbo,
    I would love to take you up that anytime. I will be back from my honeymoon on the 26th of July. So anytime after that I will be free (in so many words). I am planning on taking one of my groomsman fishing on the 13th of July in the waters around Kitsap county if you care to join us. Send me an e-mail if you are interested. -Nick
  19. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Thanks for the offer. Might have to take you up on that, as I always enjoy going someplace different and meeting other fly fishers. I have a place to stay on Bainbridge, as my brother lives there (I lived there myself from '79 thru early '85 and know some beaches, although I didn't fly fish then). I have some ideas that are worth checking out.
    I'm going to have to get up that way with nrmike's pine trees anyway.

Jimbo
  20. Nick Andrews New Member

Bremerton, WA, USA.
    I was going to extend the same offer to NRMike as well. So hopefully he will be able to join us. -Nick