Late blackpowder, Westside Blacktail

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Jeff Hale, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    I've shot does the last two years out for late muzzleloader seaon, but this year I decided to hold out for a buck. I passed up 3 does, and didn't take a shot at a small forked horn this year, before this thing lifted it's head today at 60 yards. It's a pretty wide two-point. Not huge, but a healthy deer. I feel lucky to have shot it. My buddy Jim is a great guy; he helped me gut it, drag it out two miles, and then came over to my house to help me hang it and skin it. Tomorrow it goes to the butcher. What a way to end Thanksgiving weekend. I feel pretty good.

Picture is of me holding my deer, and of course I let Jim take a shot with the buck, too, since it was a team effort getting that dude out of the woods.
  2. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +452 / 1
    Good looking 2 point. What's your choice of smoke pole and what load were you shooting?

Congrats...
  3. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Thanks.

.50 cal T.C., Black Diamond XR. I was using an elk load because I didn't want to re-sight my rifle since it was shooting so well; 110 grains of powder with a 405 grain Powerbelt.
  4. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +452 / 1
    I know not everybody likes the Powerbelts, but I really like the way my gun shoots them. Didn't harvest a critter this year, but hunted elk with the 444 grain Powerbelts.
  5. Ned Wright New Member

Tenino, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Have you considered butchering yourself? It takes some time, but it isn't rocket science.
  6. klintd Member

South Sound
    Good buck. Those blacktails are tough to find.
  7. SightCast6X americanshotgunner.com

Kirkland, WA, USA.
    Nice Buck! I've seen some wall hangers out by Duvall. But I didn't get to hit the woods this year.
    Love the Muzzleloader!
  8. cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Arlington
    Ratings: +332 / 0
  9. qrider13 Member

pasco, wa
    Congrats- nice buck. Never chased Blacktails. I've heard they are hard to hunt. Good job-
  10. 05tacoma Member

Auburn, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    very nice... congrats