Latest grass stick

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Scott Behn, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Well just brought my latest bamboo stick home. It is one of my South Bend sticks.
    I thought it would be something different to do a mix of new and old school.

This spring I should have my South Bend 6wt done and I'm doing that one in a more traditional scheme.
  2. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +74 / 3
    Scott, great refinishing job. Where did you get the orange/black jasper thread? Nylon or Silk?

Tom
  3. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    We carry the jasper thread here in the shop. It's Gudebrod brand. Yeah it's nylon. I wanted to use silk, but I have had a hard time finding any locally. On my next one, SB #359, I want to hopefully find some silk jasper in green/black. I'll be using all black nickle hardware.

Now if I can only find some blued ferrules...

:cool:
  4. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +249 / 1
    Nice job.
    What kind of finish and how was it applied?
    Blued ferrules are not hard to find, try Bellinger or Golden Witch or blue your own.

TC
  5. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    I don't know the brand that Greg buys, but it is marine grade spar varnish. I used a dip tube to apply the three coats of varnish that I used. It has been setting these last two months curing.

At last it is time to get her wet...

6. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +74 / 3
    Scott, here's a place to start your search for green/black jasper silk. Darrell will either carry it or be able to point you in the right direction.

http://vfish.net/silkpage1.htm

Tom
  7. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Thanks Tom...

8. rockymountain_brown Senore Member

Montana.
    Sweet rod. I just got a few grangers off of ebay, they should keep me busy for a while. Do you have any other projects in the works?
    RMB
  9. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Thanks Kevin, as far as bamboo, no not till spring. My #359-9 I'm going to refinish then, but make it a traditional rod. Right now my biggest hurdle is paying the $$ for blued ferrules. I want to build it using all blued/blackened nickle silver, love the looks.
    Right now I'm trying to find a line weight that works for me on this one. I need to go to the shop and pick up a wf 7 line and see how that one does.

I love flinging the grass, not smoking it!!!!

10. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Scott,

I know this is a really old thread, but I just saw it. Don't hit this section much. That's a great looking rod and an excellent refinish job. I've given some tought to refinishing some grass rods. Mind if I pick your brain when I take the plunge?

REE
  11. CANEFLYFISH n GSPs New Member

Hunker, Pa.
    Hi Scott,
    Congrats on a job well done!! I like the looks of your wraps, nice and tight! Great job on the tipping also, not too thick, and the jungle cock adds that elegance to it... Is that a marker for fish lengths? I've restored about 200 cane rods and just love the way they turn out, looking like they did 50-100 years ago right off the shelf when our granddads scrounged up enough pennies to own one!! If you ever have any questions, give me a holler.....

Good luck,
    Canefly
  12. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Thanks...yes those were measurement markers. Sad though that rod eventually had to put to rest as a 9 footer. The butt-mid ferrule finally gave way so I just got down making her into a 6' 2 tipper banty. Right now she is sitting in the shop curing. I just did 2 coats of spar this time. As soon as she comes home I'll take a few photos of her.