Lazy Line Question

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Brett Bates, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Brett Bates Member

Longview WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    So I am being lazy and don't want to spend any money on lines for this rod. Is anyone familiar with the Buelah 10'6" 6/7 wt switch. I want a line for tips but most important I am wondering what line would be the best for balloons and a couple flies? Any info would be appreciated.
  2. ten80 Active Member

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    I love my Airflo Sixth Sense 8/9wt line for my 6/7wt switch rod. A little heavy for overhead but will roll, spey, and nymph very nicely and throws poly leaders no problem. Mends nicely because of the mid-length belly. Crazy versatile. I've cast a friend's 6/7 Beulah and it feels similar in power to my rod.
  3. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Brett, try this: buy a WF8F, or WF9F, single-hand fly line cheaply on eBay or elsewhere. Trim the tip back a few feet. An .050" tip will turn over most indicators and poly tips you'd use with a switch rod. This line may not be a perfect fit, but it will be useable now, and will direct you to your first real switch line later.
  4. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +193 / 0
    Geeez, if you don't lke swinging flies and the Zen of spey casting I think your best bet is a level wind with a bobber and jig. It requires its own set of skills, and is better set up to do what you want to do.
  5. Brett Bates Member

Longview WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    It's funny you say that Jim. I am the guy that has never done anything but swing flies. I am looking to expand my knowledge and learn to fish smaller water being that I have so many small pocket water rives around me. Judgemental elites will never truly be enlightened and will never find their Zen in fishing. Thanks for the help with the lining of that rod though cool guy.
    Phil Fravel likes this.
  6. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +458 / 0
    Get a centerpin set up, it kinda looks like fly gear & I enjoy watching people try to cast them
  7. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    Back when I had my Beulah switch, the best line by far I found for nymphing was the Rio Switch line. It works ok with lighter tips, but not great. Now that I'm only throwing single hand glass rods, I still use that same line and it works great with that as well. I'll also occasionally throw an Ambush (I did on my switch as well) and it'll turn over any junk you want including tips. Being that it has such a short head, you do have to get creative with your mending (aerial mends work pretty good, stack mending...not so much). At any rate, that's what has worked for me with my old Beulah....

Or, if you wanted to concentrate on swinging, you could just get yourself a spinning rod armed with a blue fox...way more efficient tool for the job...this is always such a tiresome and ridiculous argument...took all of 4 posts in for it to come up....thanks for adding such wisdom.
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  8. slugthug Member

Ratings: +0 / 0