Least expensive saltwater real????

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Okay, so I'm looking for a SW reel but don't want to break the bank! Heck, I'm looking for cheap(est) but I'm mostly interested in corrosion resistance. Drag is secondary, really. This is for the Puget Sound, not Tarpon or even Carp. So what would you recommend? It will mainly be for SRC and the occasional Salmon that may hit, but the rod (I'm building) will be for SRC (5wt).

Please opine away! Btw, I'm building a 9', 2piece, 5wt Batson RX7, anyone have any salt water line recommendations for this rod setup?

Thanks!

2. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    lamson konic 2.0 on flea bay for 100.00 or less. Sealed drag makes all the difference. when done rinse and good to go. 6 years in the salt on 2 of them and still going strong with zero issues.
    When you bang them on rocks,etc. no "gasping" for air or heart attacks..

mtskibum16 and Alexander like this.
  3. Porter

Porter Active Member

Medalists reels preferably made in USA!

[​IMG]

4. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Hey Alexander, I've been fishing a Redington Crosswater 5wt rod and reel in the salt for 11 years now without any problems or corrosion. These reels are super inexpensive, sealed drag system and are made of poly/plastic compounds. Good Variabe drag too. I'm in Burien, if you're close enough, you can check it out.---Steve

Lue Taylor and Brookie_Hunter like this.
  5. Roger Nott

Roger Nott Member

For a RX-7 905-2 once you get much over 5 oz it will start to get on the heavy side (if your into balance). I lived in Florida for a couple of years back in the 80s and ended up getting a Scientific Anglers System 2L 7/8 for inshore salt. Almost three decades later it is still running strong although these days it is my large Bass / Carp reel. Even the 7/8 was under 5 oz, and the 5/6 is 4.2 oz. There are still new-old stock, unopened in the box on the auction site for $75 - $100 from time to time. Exposed rotor/caliper stainless disk drag.

Alexander likes this.
  6. Kevin Pidone

Kevin Pidone New Member

I just picked up a Lamson Velocity on closeout for $168 (normally a $250 reel) for this very same purpose. It's like the Konic described above, but it differs in that it's machined out of bar stock aluminum and has their hard anodized Alox finish. I think either one would be a good choice.

7. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    Medalist. Medalist. Medalist.

If you get one, strip off all of the line and backing, clean it up good, spray it down with Boshield (wipe off excess), lube (with quantum hot sauce--NO LITHIUM), put backing and line on, fish saltwater, rinse, fish saltwater the nest day, rinse. repeat and enjoy years of use.

as an aside, there is no such thing as a completely sealed drag. eventually, water will work its way in there and those seals will break down. Why do you think that many of the top of the line saltwater big game reels aren't sealed (Tibor, etc)...

oh, those System 2 reels, while aren't the most sexy looking, are built like tanks.

Chris Johnson, cebe and Alexander like this.
  8. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

I've been using one for a while and like it so much I bought 2 more. Just $20 at Leland:

http://www.lelandfly.com/On-Sale/Re...k=gdfV26857_a_7c445_a_7c1343_a_7c5_d_5501R456

Alexander likes this.
  9. Preston

Preston Active Member

In fact, almost any reel is suitable for saltwater use; so long as the reel is thoroughly rinsed with fresh water after each use. Personally I prefer a reels with an anodized finish (as opposed to painted, like the Medalist), because the anodization process provides a tougher, much more corrosion-resistant surface. Many, if not most, modern reels are already quite resistant to the ill effects of salt water, with anodized finishes and utilizing many stainless steel and plastic components which are naturally resistant to saltwater corrosion. So far as drags are concerned, disc drags utilizing rulon, carbon-fiber or stainless steel discs should not present any problems.

Fresh water is your friend, and all of my reels are soaked in it for at least half-an-hour after saltwater use. Soaking is all that's normally required, the osmotic process will quickly leach dissolved salts from areas with higher concentrations to areas of lesser density. All the rest of my gear is hosed off, including waders; it may not be absolutely necessary but I can't believe dried salt would, in any way, be beneficial to their breatability.

c1eddy, Tacoma Red and Alexander like this.
  10. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:

I friggin' love this forum! :D There's always a wealth of information we can learn from each other due to our experiences and combined knowledge since there is such a diverse group of people etc! Thanks everyone for your input!

I have a bowl especially for my reels that I soak them in after SW use. I like the added peace of mind of a closed drag system on my reels even though I soak them after use. I also soak my waders like I used to soak my dive suit in a bin when I'm done. Heading to Sequim now to pick up my rod blank and parts! :D

Irafly likes this.
  11. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    After repeated drag corrosion issues over the years on more than one Lamson reel that I own, I won't be using mine in the salt anymore. Most recently, I returned home from a fishing trip in Australia only to find that my Litespeed I had used on the trip had drag in both directions and the spool wouldn't come loose from the frame.I had rinsed it thoroughly every day of the 10 fishing days, just like the other reels I brought, but clearly their "sealed" drag system was compromised. I've been having to replace clutches in those reels on a regular basis for over a decade now, but this time it's going to require factory service.

flybill and Porter like this.
  12. Kevin Pidone

Kevin Pidone New Member

I've fished regularly with my old LP series Lamson's in the salt without a hitch. Just a thorough cleaning after each trip and some light lubrication I have had no problems. After I give this Velocity some time on the salt, I'll let you know what my experience is.

13. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

14. Adrian

Adrian Active Member

Sage's 1800 series are dirt cheap right row and are solid, ESPECIALLY for the price they are at right now.

Try Sierra Trading Post. Also, +1 for the Konic.

Alexander likes this.
  15. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    I've owned Lamson's and LOVE them! My fav is the Litespeed. But I should say that it only ever saw use on fresh water. I'd take them up on their warranty, they're good about it.

I have a Sage 3850 I think? It's orange and black, it's awesome and I'd buy another one but it's more than I want to spend (like 260). I've been eye ballin' their 2200 series.

I've also been eye ballin' the Orvis mid arbor reels priced nicely at 165. Orvis has another reel that got my attention, it's the Encounter at 49 ish, I especially like the video clip for it where they treat the real "a little rough".

But now that $20 Reddington has got my attention! Lol :D. I'm going to pick up two just for back up if anything else. ;)

16. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

I never soak my reels. I soak the spools after each outing if I will not be using them for a few days. It may just be me but I think there is a better change that water could get past the seals a lot easier if the reel is left in water for even as long as an 1 or 2 hrs. I rinse my reel and towel dry it, the spool stays in a bowl for two hrs. Change the water then 2 hrs again, towel dry then allow to stand on a dry towel overnight. As for a good reel at a good price it's hard to beat a Allen Alpha III at $145 new.

17. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

All I've done with the Crosswater is take the spool out, rinse both spool and cage under the faucet and dry off in the dish strainer. Then I wipe the lines with a wet paper towel, dry with another paper towel and let the backing dry overnight then wind the lines back on. Works for me! I too have Lamson's, Hardy's, Orvis, Waterworks, ect reels but don't use them in salt.

Alexander and Irafly like this.
  18. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Sportsman Whse in Federal Way has Hardy's Greys rod comb for less than you can built one comes with reel, 5wt line and backing with just a rod sock on their closeout area. The reel is a plastic like the Okuma reel as Steve describe Oh did I tell you they are $55 bucks

19. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Living where you do I would suggest Sage/Reddington. Model doesn't matter too much. I fish a Rise in the salt 95% of the time. It's the ability to buzz over to the factory at any time for a replacement should something goes bad that gives me much piece of mind.

yellowlab and Alexander like this.
  20. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I've been using a Ross Canyon 3 in the salt for the past 10 years or so.
    Prior to that I used a Ross Gunnison 3. Never had an issue with either.
    SF