Least expensive saltwater real????

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Ive used my scientific anglers system 2 reel ( from the mid 90s) for saltwater use many times and its built tough!! No complaints.
    However....now that I live in So Cal- land of halibut, mahi mahi and tuna on the fly rod I have gone all Nautilus CCF- got them off Ebay for killer deals and couldnt be happier about it.

Id also maybe think about getting an Allen Kraken. Not too much $$ and supposedly very good reels

If you think about it, you save money buying better stuff, and only buying it once

2. I picked up a reel on eBay made out of the USA. I had the same problem you are talking about. I took mine apart and decided a thin Thurst Washer would solve the problem. I took it to a small machine shop and had one made out of brass. Installed and problem solved. It cost me $30.00 but if you have a friend that has a lathe it is an easy thing to make.

3. Might as well put in my two bits. I use the Reddington Rise and a discontinued Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor and so far they've done well with just a rinse. I was using cheaper Echo Ions and rinsing them religiously and thoroughly after each use but found I had to disassemble and oil after every trip to keep the guts from rusting out. You can buy two Ions for one Rise but the maintenance changed my mind.

4. I'm running a older Redington 5/6 CDL on my RX6 9' 5 weight. Working good, rinse & repeat. Good drag.

c/22

5. What Porter said.

6. Amen but I use the 1495-1/2 and also the 1498, only made in Akron!

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

7. Stay Pflueger, my friend!

OP's question was the least expensive - the Pflueger "Sal-Trout" (with Boeshield and "Hot Sauce" treatment, as has been recommended prior) is the least expensive reel I fish in the salt for Searun Cutthroat.

At less than $15 on the secondary market, a good reel that works just doesn't get much cheaper than these;

sal-trout searun.JPG

Alexander and Randall Clark like this.
  8. I use a 30.00 cabelas reel on my 5wt for salt. I always rinse everything very thoroughly after each trip, I've not had a single issue with this cheap reel.

I figured, if it does corrode &/or fail in any way, I'll simply buy a new one. I have a few galvan reels that I'm just not comfortable using in the salt.

R00k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD