Leaving Wading Boots Behind

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by bugboy9, Jun 23, 2009.

1. bugboy9

bugboy9 Member

Trying to save on weight in the pack because we are planning a 15 mile hike into the alpines. I don't want to bring my wading boots so I'm trying to figure out what everyone else does in this situation. I will have a float tube and gortex waders. How do you keep your fins from slipping off of your neoprene booties? Thanks for the help. Matt

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    If you have to save the weight of your boots consider two options that I've used. Do your fins size down to fit the neoprene booties directly? Can you find a pair of beach runners or aqua type socks (cheap as heck) that will fit over your neoprene booties and fill out the gaps in your fins? I have a set that fit over my neoprenes and then into my force fins (model without adjustable foot cup but does have an adjustable heel strap). Good luck.

3. bugboy9

bugboy9 Member

Hi Ed,

Yaaaa, I tried cinching down the fins to my feet but still a lot of floppage. I was thinking about getting something light and cheap to put over my neoprene booties like you suggested. I think thats the ticket. Matt

4. Preston

Preston Active Member

Try a pair of flats booties, they're light and can be found cheaply at places like Outdoor Emporium. On a recent trip to Chopaka I forgot my flats booties (actually, a pair of Chota tubing booties, kind of super flats booties) but brought along a pair of sandals. Sandals weren't the perfect solution but worked pretty well for a week.

5. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Bugboy, locate a pair of fin keepers online or in a local surf shop, and that'll keep your fins on your feet at least. You might also try a local scuba shop for thicker neoprene booties with an actual sole, designed for rocky shorelines, and glue a little felt on them to make your fins fit better. I've never found a satisfactory solution to this situation, including Korkers with the interchangeable soles.

6. bugboy9

bugboy9 Member

Alex, Preston, Ed, thanks. All great solutions. Flats boots/booties, larger Neoprene Booties, I'll check them out. Thanks again, Matt

7. tediousthumper

tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

Media:
  8. Ed Call

Media:
    Not sure of the weight of my Korkers Guide boots but I'm pretty sure they are at or below 3lbs. Pretty light and I like the Boa closure.

9. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    CONVERSE ALL STARS, lightweight cheap fold down to flip flop size and no one but the trout will be able to tell your still sporting all-stars.

10. Bob Balder

Bob Balder Willing to learn anything...

Corkers work.
    Walking soles on the Corkers for the hike in, change up souls if you want. Hike in them and fish in them, what a concept.
    On the other hand......no fun to walkout in any boot if it is wet.
    I think the best solution is the flats boot. Relatively light, inex[pensive and they really do the job.
    Have a great time!

11. Flyn'dutchman

Flyn'dutchman Member

Gotta agree on the All Stars. I've been using a pair in my force fins. Fit great. Mine are the black model with Flames! I'm sure the fish love 'em.

12. cutthroatking

cutthroatking screw work lets fish

I sport my Chuck Taylors with pride:thumb:

13. David Crowne

David Crowne Member

On multi day trips I pack a pair of Keen sandals. They dry out quickly and are great to wear around camp. They also provide just enough foot support for float tubing or river wading. Plus, they seem to expand and contract well by design, fitting nicely over wader booties.

My son and I are heading out to Idaho on Wednesday for a week of backcountry river fishing. We'll be wading in our Keens...

14. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

i've got the pro force fins for sale! 200 bucks or shoot me an offer i need the money

15. Krystoff

Krystoff Member

I will be heading into the back country later this year and I was having the same dilemma. What I think I am going to do is buy a cheapo kids raft and use that to get out into the lake. Much less weight than bringing a float tube, waders, fins, and some type of boots. The ones I am thinking about are the ones from Wally world that are < $20.

16. Ed Call

Media:
    Krystoff, you are young, carry your stuff and fish comfortably...what happens when you pop that $20 "raft"? Seems like your regular lake outfit is not super heavy, is it? How far are you hiking?

17. Krystoff

Krystoff Member

We will be hiking in about 9 miles and are camping for 2 nights so I will need to carry in quite a bit of food and gear. My float tube is basically a truck tire wrapped in canvas. I wouldn't say it was particularly heavy but at least 10 pounds. I have neoprene waders which are at least 3 pounds if not more, my wading boots are about 1 pound, and my fins are 2 pounds. So far, that puts my guess at around 16 pounds and to make matters more complicated, none of them are particularly compact. My waders, boots, and fins would take half of my pack and my float tube stays inflated year round and would require a bicycle tire to inflate/deflate since it has a tire valve on it.

Contrast that with one of these guys:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8283942

About 6 pounds and folds up to 11" x 14" x 4". Comes with a patch kit and holds 370 pounds which should be more than plenty for my 160 lbs and my gear.

EDIT:

Found this guy right after I posted.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10928132&findingMethod=rr

4.3 pounds, has 4 air chambers for extra durability, and it is only $14 dollars.

18. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

:cool:I feel so sorry for all you fooz who don't have Curtis Rafts!

19. bugboy9

bugboy9 Member

First of all, Thanks everyone for the replies!! Hi Allison, you got that right on the Curtis Raft!!! I"ve been looking for one since joining this forum, but haven't come across a single one? Any idea where I could pick one up. Should I try to get in touch with someone from the Hi Lakers to hook me up? Where did you get yours? I want one. Matt

20. Krystoff

Krystoff Member

Yeah I know Allison, I joined the Hi-Lakers too late to get one but if I come across one I will certainly get it!

For now I will make do with the cheapo brands.