Leaving Wading Boots Behind

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by bugboy9, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Redmond, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +73 / 0
    I came across a Curtis over a year ago and sealed the deal 15 minutes after it came across on the HL e-mail loop. Act fast if you find a seller, they go quick. They are great for a light weight and compact alternative to a tube.
    Mike
  2. Trent Ugly member

Here
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    You could just get the "Creek Company" fins (around $30), your foot goes in them, instead of strapped to them. That is what I use.

P.S. Aslo, you could just use old sneakers or something.
  3. David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Snoqualmie, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    I am recent convert of the Sevylor Trail Boat. 4lbs. No float tube. No waders needed. No flippers. No wading boots. $60, though some guy is selling his on Craigslist for $35. And its drier and more comfortable.

No brainer.
  4. bugboy9 Member

Ratings: +13 / 0
    I bought a Sevylor Trail Boat, pumped it up for the first time in my living room before a trip, and then it deflated a few minutes later. Returned it to REI. Didn't give me confidence to replace it with another. Matt
  5. nick@korkers New Member

Portland, Or
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I agree that Chuck T's will certainly do the trick, but I'd like to point out that we've been building products to deal with situations like this for years. Our Korkers boots are designed specifically for scenarios like this one. The OmniTrax interchangeable sole system allows for maximum versatility in situations just like this. I know you may be looking for a cheap alternative, so maybe our boots aren't the best option right now for you, but our boots and shoes are perfect for float tubes because our athletic last allows fins to be used on them as well. I don't want this to sound like a sales pitch or anything, but our products are specifically designed to deal with varying terrain and I wanted to bring it up.

We also make a wet wading shoe called the Torrent that you may be able to find on sale at a few local fly shops that works really well with fins too. I know Red's has them on sale right now.
  6. Chris Corbiere "I'm new... dont make fun"

Marysville, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hey Im thinking of doing the foss river hike and wanted to bring my float tube. I was thinking I could muscle it out without waders? any comments.. think I can muscle it out or will i cause permenant shrinkage?
  7. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Chris -

I have a Triniti float tube that I am thinking of selling - $200.
  8. Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

Tacoma, Wa
    The neoprene booties with a sole are what I've used for years. If I'm going lake fishing I don't even bring my wading boots along anymore. The fin keepers are a good idea also.
  9. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    I wear size 11 boots/shoes, and I recently bought a pair of size 13 neoprene surfing booties (by O'Neil) to wear over my stocking foot waders, so that I have a soft-soled, grippy boot to wear in my "tupperware" Ultimate 12. These are skookum for non-slip standing on a slick surface, but don't have hard soles. At 5mm thick, they are very warm, but a good fit over the neoprene stocking feet of my Dan Bailey waders, which are either 3mm, 3,5mm, or 4mm...(can't remember). You won't get cold feet with this setup. Got the info to go 2 sizes bigger, for this application, on the NW Kayak Angler forums.

An old knee boarder who fly fished (or maybe he was an old fly fisherman who knee boarded), that I knew used to wear his surfing wetsuit and his surf booties and Duck Feet when float tubing. I think he's still kickin' around inland somewhere.
  10. scoutii304 New Member

Seattle, WA
    I wear Hodgman "Neoprene Wading Shoes" on the beach and in the tube with fins. They have a sturdy hard rubber sole which fills the fins nicely. They may save you a few oz. and fold up a little better than boots. $35 or so at Outdoor Emporium or I'm sure they can be found online.