LED Desk Lamp for Fly Tying

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by PatrickH, Dec 8, 2013.

1. PatrickH Active Member

Snohomish County Wa
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    I was at Ikea the other night and I found the perfect little desk lamp for fly tying. Only cost $10 bucks :)

IMG_1445.jpg IMG_1446.jpg
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  2. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    Nice find

If I had younger eyes it might be a light I'd consider. The led has a harsh white/blue cast to them which would strain my eyes more than I'd want.
  3. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +249 / 1
    There are a variety of forum members that tie together periodically that have this light. I am one of them. I find it okay as an easily portable light but I wouldn't recommend it for home use as a tying light. Both quality and amount of light are lacking for a serious tying light.
    I use it as a bedside reading light but thats about all. The price of this light equals the quality. It doesn't take long for the in-line switch to go bad and good luck finding a replacement switch.

Unfortunately LED technology has not yet advanced enough to produce a light that is anywhere close to natural light.

TC
  4. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,106 / 0
    I would like to find something on this order that was battery powered. A light that would work on a picnic table after the day's last cast.

Ive
  5. PatrickH Active Member

Snohomish County Wa
    They light is not the greatest, but for $10 bucks if you don't have a light, it works great. Ofcourse there is many better lights out there, but many don't wanna spend $80+ on a good light.
    Light is a warmer color, just my camera isn't capturing its true light color.
  6. herefishynm Member

Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I have an Ott Light that is rechargeable, so you can take it without an electric source.
  7. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Certainly most LEDs aren't very good yet. That said, I don't know that LEDs are worse than fluorescent so much as different: fluorescent lights (e.g.,the Ott lite) aren't actually all that good at color rendition either.

I have some new LEDs in my kitchen that seem pretty close to good halogen quality with food and flowers (but I haven't tried tying under them.)

Some interesting reading:

http://www.solux.net/cgi-bin/tlistore/infopages/Ott-lite.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_CRI_LED_Lighting
    http://lumenistics.com/is-color-quality-scale-cqs-an-improvement-on-cri/

Rolland
    jwg likes this.
  8. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +249 / 1
    I am constantly amazed at how many people believe the Ott lights are great at producing light that is close to natural light.

LED technology is moving really fast. As soon as they can produce a true white as opposed to blended colors they will be off and running towards full spectrum.

TC
  9. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +293 / 0
    nice set up
  10. Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

Ratings: +100 / 0

Thanks for sharing this info Rolland!

Was about to buy a Ott Lite but this will change my decision.
  11. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +433 / 0
    My only concern with that type of light for tying, would be that the creative (new) patterns may not look (or resemble) what they look like in the water.

What I mean is, aside from tying known patterns that work (i.e. standard ones), a new "invented" pattern may reflect more light than it should under that light or possibly less, not resembling what it does (or reflects) when in deeper water.

Did that make any sense?

LED's don't give off the true light spectrum as needed with some materials. Sometimes it "washes" out some colors....
  12. rustybee Member

Ratings: +21 / 0
    My buddies that are growing Stony corals in home aquariums with LED lights would beg to differ... ;)
  13. Jim Lawrence New Member

Ratings: +5 / 0
    For $9.95 you can get a magnifier from sloans workshop with 3 seperate mag. built right into the headband. Just flip down whichever one you need. They work great!
    http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/misc_.htm
  14. PatrickH Active Member

Snohomish County Wa

Well those are a little more expensive. lol
  15. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Yes, it makes perfect sense.

I completely agree. If you want true daylight, you still have to use a halogen bulb.

My point was that anybody who is happy with an Ott Lite should be happier with a $25 LED, which will be both cheaper and more flexible since it can go on a classic swing-arm desk lamp.

Most of us should be in that category. While I do have one pair of shorts that is brown indoors and green outdoors, most fly tying material doesn't change enough for me to worry about it. Add in that the color will change again when seen through water and a good LED is my preference.

Rolland