Lee Blue 4/0

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by S Fontinalis, Dec 24, 2012.

1. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

Media:
    Tied this fly in one sitting on Saturday night, then decided i didnt like the wing, so i cut it off and re-did it today. All told, about 6 hours of work went into this fly.

[​IMG]

What follows is a brief walk though. Started to photograph the walk through process on numerous occasions, but always missed more pictures than i took.

Finally I got the most of them, so here it is.

Start with the hook in the vise, in this case a Ronn Lucas 4/0 Philips Jones.
    Tie in the gut eye, right at the taper of the shank. usually i fully gut them but not this time.
    Form a nice flat layer of thread back to the tie in point for the tinsel tip, secure and wind the tip. Here it is tied off and read to start the tag. If this fly had floss body or tag i'd have used some uni-stretch to create an ultra smooth and tapered underbody, but since it was dubbed fur, i didnt need to worry about that this time.
    [​IMG]

Tag on this fly is yellow wool, dubbed, not wound.
    [​IMG]

Tie in the tail, a GP topping. Usually the pattern says single topping, sometimes two. in this case i used to as it gives a fuller look to the tail. The toppings are tied one on top of the other.
    [​IMG]

Here the butt (black ostrich) and the rib are tied in and the body started up to the second turn of tinsel. Before starting the body i ghost wrap the tinsel to find the approximate tie in point for the hackle, which nearly always starts from the second turn of rib. The body in this case is blue seals fur.
    [​IMG]

Body completed, all dubbed seals fur
    [​IMG]

Here the rib and hackle are wound, notice the hackle from the second turn
    [​IMG]

The first go around, i did tippet in strands. Which was ok, but with the replacement wing i decided to do full tippets (no photo). Here, i've also tied in the throat hackle, and changed threads, from white to black.
    [​IMG]

Wings tied in
    [​IMG]

Third roof, and finished head, with horns. Pretty simple front end to this fly, though after seeing the photos, i wasnt happy with the whole wing/roof/head, so decided to redo them today.
    [​IMG]

After cutting off the first wing and reforming a totally new one, i tied in tippets back to back, tied in the new wing and finished the roof, horns and head. The new fly is the first picture in this thread.

Thanks for looking, and i hope this shows a little of the process i go through of tying a salmon fly.

Mark Mercer and GAT like this.
  2. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    Nice, thanks! If you get REALLY bored maybe you could to a little SBS on how you build tie in the roof...you mentioned once it was kind of a pain, but it looks somewhat simple...so I assume I am missing something :)

Anyway, I always enjoy seeing your ties.

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Please don't tell me some nut-case will actually toss that in a river!!! :)

Beautiful pattern. One of your best.

4. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

Media:
    Thanks fellas. David, you have a PM

5. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Nice one Eunan! I think thats one of the best roofs I've seen you do.....really good job, and a SBS as well! Thanks.

S Fontinalis likes this.
  6. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    Got it thanks!