Lee Wulff 2070...what a gas!

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by fishwater, Sep 26, 2012.

1. fishwater

fishwater Human Being...a work in progress

Fishing SRCs in the Stilly of late, I've switched between my fast graphite 9foot 5weight and my Wulff 2070 - a one-piece 6footer that throws anything from 3 to 6weight lines. I have found a dramatic advantage to the Wulff, which is self-made from a NOS blank I bought about a year ago. All things being equal, once I get a grab the Wulff is twice the fun; the fish feel twice as lively as they bend the little glass rod into its handle. This little rod just jumps when I have a fish on. Even the little 8-12inchers are a blast. The Wulff cost me maybe $110 to build too.

Certainly I can throw farther with accuracy and less effort with the graphite, but in closer and tossing light flies (think BWOs, smaller spiders and nymphs) the Wulff is very sweet. In the wind, the graphite makes casting easier by far.

I recognize that the first "good" fly rods I fished in the 60s/70s were all glass, and that the feel of glass in hand is waaay familiar. Don't know how this would compute for someone experienced only with today's crop of stiff graphite flyrods.

2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I tossed a glass stick for the first time in Dryflylarry's back yard last year, a Browning rod if I recall. It was quite different than the fast graphite rods I am used to, but after a bit I was starting to slow things down enough to start to see why people enjoy fishing them so much. One of these days I think ill pick up a light weight glass rod for throwing softies on my local lake for rainbows and bluegill.

3. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Yesterday I received and lawn-cast a new Echo Carbon 2-weight, a delightful little rod, with a new WF2F line. Then on a whim, I tested the line on an old six foot Herter fiberglass rod. In the 42 years I've had it, I used it very little, because with its rated 5-weight line, it seemed too soft, and a 5 line is inappropriately heavy for such a dainty rod. Lo, with the 2-weight line, the rod felt a bit crisper, and fully loaded with that line. Once again, I've relearned that rods don't "know" from line ratings; and sometimes, neither do rod makers.