Leech Help...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Camo Clad Warrior, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Loren Jensen Active Member

Sedro-Woolley, Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    not to jack the thread, but are there instructions anywhere for this bad boy?
  2. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    Silver bullet32, there is probably many ways to tie this, the trick is to tie just behind the eye leaving the hook bare like an umbrella. The late Jack Gartside tied with by putting a V in the tip of the feather and wrapping it from there. I have a friend that ties in clumps of marabou. I tie them just like any other of my soft hackles. I take the top section of a marabou feather and tie in by the tip, then wrap around hook 3 to 5 times. When using two colors, I tie both in by tip and wrap both at same time, then I tie in the mallard by the tip and wrap it.

I only use this much of the marabou:

[IMG]

Does that make sense?
  3. Camo Clad Warrior Member

Sedro-Woolley,WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Blue is spot on. And besides silverbullet I tied one for ya the other day. lol
  4. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +85 / 0
    Why just behind the eye? How does it help? Just curious!
    Thanks
  5. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    I guess like with any Soft Hackle it gives way to a great undulation effect. Plus a very thin profile with larger at the the eye like the real thing.
    Jack used shorter hooks, but I use streamer because I was getting hits on the fly to find they were just grabbing the marabou. With the streamer hook they grab metal.
    That too is another reason I guess for the tying position. You can tie this on a scud hook but it will appear longer.
  6. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Would a stinger type tie be even more effective? I'm thinking with a really small stinger.
  7. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Absolutely. I have a couple stingers. This pattern was quick and easy and worked, but a stinger is great.
  8. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Thanks - I'm going to give it a whirl.
    Happy New Year!
  9. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    PICTURES PLEASE!!!!
  10. Loren Jensen Active Member

Sedro-Woolley, Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    thanks blue! and yes camoclad i watched you but i have forgotten. i am tying one up at the moment
  11. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +276 / 0

Try wetting it and folding the fibbers back as you wrap it on the hook
    I keep a small bowl or cup of water on the bench while I am tying for that purpose

I have a nice articulated leech pattern
    I use crosscut bunny strips
    big trout love it
  12. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    For me, I have never used the string that comes with Mohair. I strip the fibers off and make my own dubbing loop. The string is just too bulky to me.
  13. Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Here's my Bead Belly Leech. The beads make it ride hook point up, give it weight and add some sparkle. Marabou plume is tied flat on top, matuka style. Its just a wild card leech for those days when standard patterns don't seem to be working
    View attachment 37507
  14. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,237 / 0
    I usually only use mohair for mini-leeches. I like marabou patterns for full size leeches. The ones I see around here(and they'te pretty common. try swimming in a local lake and you'll get one on your leg) are brownish/oily-black in color and usually 2.5-6 inches. I like blue's pattern and will give it a whirl, only in differnt colors. I never have luck with purple here.
  15. Camo Clad Warrior Member

Sedro-Woolley,WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Thanks again for all the help. I have the mohair down now. Will tie up a bunch and give them a whirl at pass sunday.
  16. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +276 / 0
    sweet
  17. Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

do'n it 4 the chinookie
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Why don't you guys tie these leaches on a tube... You can then set the hook at whatever distance you wish from the front to back of the fly...
  18. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    I just recently thought of that. I have never tied tube flies and realize the initial pre cost for set-up, but my question, is it that big of an advantage? Again, I have never tied or used one. I understand the concept though. One fly, many different hooks.
  19. Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

do'n it 4 the chinookie
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Blue, cheap to get going actually...
    I think you can get a tube attachment for the vise for 20.00 or so, or, some simply tie on large needles. Plastic tubes via hmh are cheap too, or, wd40 red plastic tubes or ink pen plastic work(Ink get's a bit messy but you got the idea)
    I like tubes in that it's fast and easy and cheap to tie larger profile flies. You can tie them in the round if you want, or add a wing, and they generally right themselves with the wing up if you don't use junktion tubing. Also, a huge advantage is hooking ability, generally speaking, a fish hooked on a stinger/tube fly has a greater chance to stay buttoned up- You choose where the hook is positioned on the fly without haveing a long shank to add unwanted leverage. Many steelheaders
    ( I for one) don't leave for the river without them especially in winter-
    A very versitile method you should try I'm bet'n !
    At first, don't get all tied up in the different tubes and parts and configurations, keep it simple at first, and you'll be off to a good start:thumb:
    BTW, back in the day a few years back befor I discovered steelhead and I was after big trout , u and your hubby were hammering those huge fish over on the big res. and jamm'n on the guitar, still at it??
  20. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    LOL. Very cool. Still after the big trout, but retired on the music. All good though. Okay, now I got to try the tubes. Like you said, keep it simple might be the key. How about those tiny bar straws for stirring?