Leech Help...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Camo Clad Warrior, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

do'n it 4 the chinookie
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Great idea, but if you gotta buy the martini that comes with the straw, that makes 'em a bit spendy:rofl:
    Seriously, great idea!!
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,512 / 9
    Blue, other possible tubes to use to start out: Coffee stirrers, smallest diameter you can find; Q tips or brand of choice, plastic shaft, clip off the cotton covered ends. These are nice and small in internal diameter; some hobby shops or pet shops will have softer clear tubing that can be the junction tubing for holding your hook to the tube...inexpensive options.

I like the looks of the stepped diameter tube adapter and the other straight types that clamp into standard vice jaws. If I did not have a tube adapter and mandrel system from Nor Vise I'd go that route.
  3. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,337 / 0
    I tied up some of Blue's patterns. The yellow and orange ones are just attractors, the other three are more natural colored. All but one is sporting a beadhead. I'll tie up some more in different color variations. I'm tying a red/black right now that I bet will work magic. I'm going to try them out today if the temp gets over 0.
  4. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +392 / 0
    Nice! I will give this pattern a try for sure

5. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    I also like Black and Red plus Black and Burnt orange. Oh and then one time, at band camp, I over heard these two gentlemen out on the lake. They were catching trout on a regular basis. One was using a Brown bugger, the other an Olive, so, I tied up this soft hackle in Brown and Olive. It was the meal of choice at several local lakes and killed on Hebgen.

Try a Yellow and Red (Mickey Fin)
  6. Camo Clad Warrior Member

Sedro-Woolley,WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I tied up a few as well blue. I added a strip of zonker strip and it gives it a really nice touch. Great pattern.
  7. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT

I do have a variation too. I use the streamer hook, Zonker strip and chenille body. In white and tan they are my bait fish imitations, in Burnt orange is my Crayfish.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Then I got some cool yellow Zonker with orange tip and made some up to try at soft water

[IMG]

This is great, lets "SEE" some more variations.
  8. Loren Jensen Active Member

Sedro-Woolley, Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    blue, i love seeing you leech patterns, could you post a pic of your leech fly box?
  9. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Oh, that s just scary. I just throw my flies in LOL
    Give me a minute to clean up....he, he.
  10. Loren Jensen Active Member

sounds good! lol
  11. Loren Jensen Active Member

here are some leeches i've tied up. nothing fancy, nothing great looking. they should fish though

[IMG]

[IMG]
  12. Camo Clad Warrior Member

Sedro-Woolley,WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
  13. Loren Jensen Active Member

ahh the Lingerie Leech!
  14. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    You guys are killing me...those are great flies! I am still cleaning up my boxes...man what a mess. I do have one box for my Gartside soft hackles of different colors, then one box of BUNNY (anything with rabbit strips) then one box for woollys and mohairs, and it was a busy summer....LOL That is just the big boxes, then I have littler boxes with dries, nymphs, chironomids, wets...etc.
  15. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    I think I need to add more FLUFF to my leeches.
  16. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    iagree I've tried just about everything. I still think marabou has the most movement in water. Rabbit fur is a close second. I've been tying up the umbrella style ones more and more. Like blue said the fish grab the Marabou, and this way the hook is in the right spot. I've never tried the tube fly approach, but may have to give it a go.
  17. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    what do you mean by unbrella style?
  18. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    How do you connec the rabbit hair to the shank of the hook? I tried to sprial it and that wasent working out well for me! :( lol
  19. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    By Umbrella, he means like the Soft Hackles are tied at the front of the hook behind the eye. The hook is left bare, so it looks like an Umbrella.

If you want to wrap fur, Possum or Squirrel is actually a better choice, but if you prefer rabbit, on "Zonker Strip" the hair either goes straight up or it falls straight to the back. "CROSS CUT" on the other hand falls to the side and is a better choice for wrapping.
  20. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Blue: Do you add weight to your patterns? I like the minnow pattern you posted. The predatory triploids here would shred it(after they whacked it with their tail. I've noticed the trips often like to stun their prey first). Stomach samples mostly show sculpin and baby walleye, but I've found just about every species of fish in the river. What I like about these patterns is I can match size and sillouette, but is still castable. That hasn't been the case with some minnow and craw patterns I've experimented with in the past, especially articulated patterns.
    P.S. My new Avatar picture was caught New Year's eve on the black/orange pattern I posted pics of earlier in this thread. Thanks Blue for the great ideas for new patterns now floatin around in my head(not much else up there)!!!