leech lake

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by mr trout, Jun 23, 2002.

1. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Media:
    Well, I went to leech lake on the white pass summit yesterday (6/22)from 7-9pm. I didn't really expect much, but what the hey. As it turned out, I ended up with three nice bows 16,17,18 inches in just that short time. I had some of the lakes brookies slap at it but most of 'em got off, or I set up to hard on 'em thinking they were the bows. They weren't. At about 9 there was some action up on top that I unfortunatley couldn't stay for. My car is In the shop so I had to get my parents to take me up :REALLYMAD They don't like the mosquitos so i couldn't fish the imminent hatch. I have a quick question for somebody. Do yellow sallies live in lakes? I caught one on the water and I didn't think they did. It could have flown from the river or something but I don't know. Kinda wierd. There were some caddis around the time I left so that was probably about to pick up. But I had to leave. ( it is a good thing my mechanic is also a fishin' buddy) :WINK - Trevor

2. caddisaction

caddisaction New Member

what flies were working the best for you up there. going there soon. i heard trudes and griffith gnats are big up there but havent tried them. info is most appreciated.

Caddisaction :AA

3. yakimacoug

yakimacoug New Member

I was up there Saturday morning and had most of my success on a black/olive bugger with my clear intermediate line. I did manage to catch my largest (to date) Leech Lake EB at 14". For a moment I thought is was another rainbow, but to my surprise it was a dark, hook jawed brookie. Made my day. I did also manage a few on a BH Olive Chroinomid.

If you are looking for company (16 other boats) Leech Lake is your cup a tea. Not that it was much of an issue, but I did get a little tired of guys trolling right into the area I'm casting into. I'm not saying I haven't "spaced out" and wandered a little too close, but the repeat offenders made me a little upset. Nothing serious, just the principle.

YC :MAD

4. Gizler

Gizler New Member

Just a question for you. Are you sure that you were fishing Leech Lake? I have been fishing Leech since the early 80's and have never caught or seen anybody catch a rainbow there. However just down the road is Dog lake which has both rainbows and brookies in it. Just curious.

5. callibaetis

callibaetis Guest

Rainbows have been planted in leech this year.

6. Steelie L

Steelie L Member

A few questions, since this doesn't seem like a secret zipperlip lake...

Is Leech Lake scenic? Is there camping? Are there other lakes/streams in the area worth fishing? Is it worth making the 3-hour drive from Seattle?

Thanks!

7. DEREK

DEREK New Member

Media:
    It might have been extra busy over the weekend because the South Sound Fly Fishers had a club outing there.

8. caddisaction

caddisaction New Member

I was up there for my first time not too long ago and there was 7 to 8 sites on the lake and it looked like camping sites in the back forty. nice looking but i havent been around to much to see other lakes since this is my first year fishing since i was 9. but it was quiet and scenic to me........

I seen there was a pond on the right side as youre going up from enumclaw. anything in it?????

Caddisaction

9. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Media:
    Hey everbody, sorry it has taken me so long to get this post. I have been at a Drum Major camp in cheney for a week, so no chance to write. I was using a brown and olive bugger fished slow over the tops of the weedbeds.Yeah they did plant quite a few triploid rainbows a little over two weeks ago, adds some variety. As far as camping it is quite a popular spot and spaces line the backside of the lake. Hope this helps and don't forget the bug repellent! - Trevor