Leeches with an indicator

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jake Tucker, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    don't stop at leeches and chronies. scud, dragons, damsels, you name it all fish well under an indicator. scud move a lot and dragons dart this way and that, but most of the time they are moving slowly or just hanging around. i think the reason the indicator works is that it slows down our retrieve. most trout food is incapable of moving as fast as we fishermen present it. a well placed indicator also places the food just above cover and those are the specimens that naturally get picked off. takes a lot of dicipline, and skill, to fish slow and near cover without an indicator, like Brian Chan's. Indicators are a pain to cast.

2. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I`ve seen Brian Chan fishing more than once . Away from the cameras he will use indicators . Here in B.C , we`re allowed to use two rods if we are the only person in the boat . Brian will often fish one rod with an indicator , and cast and retrieve the other .

Watching him is amazing . Not just because he is a machine , but especially because even though he has caught many more fish than most people on the planet , he still gets excited by each and every one he catches , like a mere mortal would . The man just loves to fish .

He recently retired as a biologist and has left some big , big shoes to fill .

BTW , welcome aboard Bill .
    What took you so long :p ?

3. CovingtonFly

CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Media:

4. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Brian, that is some good and interesting info. Although I place Chan right up there with the great ones, I'm surprised to hear him get so excited about catching fish. I have attended several of his seminars in the past and although they were very informative, some of the guys I was with actually fell asleep as he was not too animated in his presentation. You could see the dry, biologist side coming out in him.

There is a proposal to get a two rod stamp in WA like you have in BC. I could see getting to to "plunk" one rod with an indicator and work a separate rod.

5. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    in bc you can only use one fly per rod in stillwater, no two fly setups like in wa. so you are still limited to the same # of flies. personally i have less trouble with two flies rather than two rods.

6. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Agreed !
    When he is wearing his professional hat , he is pure biologist , but in real life , he has a wicked sense of humor , and can become as excitable and passionate as anybody I`ve ever seen

7. kokish

kokish New Member

always the last to see a great site
    have been fishing a bit, more exploring, finally found that
    little lake off douglas lake road, cost me a tire coming up from the
    lake, but was worth it. planing a couple trips to Likley end of sept
    had a great time with boatman last year, brother put me into a couple
    also going to a fly-in around 100-mile sometime in sept
    hope to see you on the adams

bill

8. Laanadich Nympher

Laanadich Nympher New Member

think there are numerous tips for different indicators on this site, but I'd like to get your ideas for best indicator type for fishing with mini (or micro) leeches...

-LDich N

9. otto

otto New Member

I tried this technique at Merrill over the weekend, Brian Chan I am not!
    I varied depths from about 5'-20' and used various colors (brown, red, black, black and red, red, olive), no luck.
    Water was 68 on the surface and no significant hatches.
    I've seen leeches in Merrill before.
    I'll try again elsewhere under different conditions.

10. otto

otto New Member

In retrospect (I've at least convinced myself) that this would be a great method to swim a hex nymph or emerger (something like a wiggler) down around the bottom, especially earlier in the evening when the bugs are making their ascent.
    Even better while the wind is still up a little.
    Now all I have to do is wait about 9 or 10 months to apply my theory.
    I'll attempt to refine my methods over the winter on different lakes and different bugs.

11. mdjm66

mdjm66 Member

Media:
    I have fished with indicators quite a bit in stillwater up here in BC.

I have found that spring and fall seem to be the best times, and when there is a little chop on the water it gives the fly a good action.

Up on the shoals in the spring and fall can be non stop action with micro-leeches in 12-16 sizes, even as little as 3-5 ft below the surface, nothin better than watchin a big trout swim up to your leech and refuse it :)

The indicators that you guys have mentioned I pretty much use exclusively and here is how we set them up:

You thread your leader through the hole in the peg first and run it up the line. You then thread the leader through the hole in the indicator and run it up the line. Find the desired depth you wish to fish and then holding the peg and the indicator apart you push the peg into the indicator leaving a loop of the leader outside of the indicator. When you set the hook on the fish the two pieces of the indicator will come apart and slip down the leader thus not interfering with netting the fish.

We have used these fishing up to depths of 20-30 feet, although, I would rather fish "naked" (sans indicator) for really deep fishing.