left handed tyers/unwinding thread

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Allison, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Minx New Member

white marsh, va
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Allison,
  2. Minx New Member

white marsh, va
    Hmmm....stupid computer tricks here, try this again:
    Allison, trust me on this, I'm no pro when it comes to learning to tie flies, BUT I've found just tying whatever you want seems to teach you the fastest. Whenever I pick something to tie and it comes out really scary, it just tells me to go read how to do it right, learn the right steps, get the right materials, and lo & behold it seems to come out right. Size doesn't seem to matter, technique does though and challenging yourself to try is the first step. From a size 24 Black Nose Dace to a big saltwater clouser, just go out & play....I don't think there's any order to learn....chuck
  3. Tony Tony

Lynnwood Wa
    Ratings: +73 / 0
    I'm confused I'm a lefty and I taught myself to tie flies, I've always wrapped clockwise (under away from me over towards me as I face my fly with the eye on my left) I've never had a problem with the thread unfurling perhaps I'm tying incorrectly I don't know but hey what does it matter, I mean really, my flies look just like everybody elses in the end and seem to work the same, they catch fish.
  4. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    You're definiely tying in the opposite direction of me. I go up and away, down and toward me. I assume most people go up and away and down and toward, or else unwinding thread would be a problem for righties instead of lefties.
  5. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    That's the instutionalized pattern, fer sure! iagree
  6. earlsmith Member

Seattle
    Lefties UNITE!!!!!!

I do spin the bobbin when I need the line to lay tight,or come back together, a little wetting of the line helps too and I was under the assumption that this phenomena happened to all fly tyers.....never been a problem though, it's actually desirable now and again, and I do think that it tends to happen w a larger diameter thread, I try to tie with as fine a thread as the size of fly will allow

Earl
  7. earlsmith Member

Seattle
    I tied my way through Randle Kaufnman's Books. The Wet fly and The Dry Fly, I borrowed them from a buddy, then bought them. They do teach you order of materials, tying from back to front, tips and tricks to managing materials, very well illustrated, ect. I spend two days at the show at the Meydenbauer every year picking the brains of the tyers who attend, it never hurts to get the instruction "live". Participate in round tables at fly shops or in your local club, it's actually alot of fun and you learn something and meet good people. Maybe I will volunteer to host a Sunday afternoon round table or something see if we get any interest......

Earl
  8. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,226 / 0
    My mother-in-law's a lefty too. Here's some stuff she's regaled me with over the years:

In case you've ever wondered why the opposite of being left-handed is called 'right' handed ('right' in this case as a synonym for 'correct'), the word 'left' in most Romance languages shares the same Latin root as the word 'sinister'. Our European serf ancestors took a jaundiced view of people who used the wrong hand to eat with!

Left-handed people have about a 10% shorter life expectancy than normal - oops! - I meant right-handed folks! Why? Because the world is designed for righties. Such mundane stuff as operating the gear shift lever on a car is just a bit more challenging and less reflexive or intuitive for lefties.

If you think about it, how easy would it be for you to learn how to fly cast using the opposite hand?

K
  9. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    Yes, Kent, I know about all of that. it's especially irritating when righties try to lord over lefties because lefties are more "accident-prone" because they are using right-handed stuff, like oh, I don't know, cooking utensils, desks, power tools, anything that's "ergonomic" like my ergo mouse. which is very nice, but it's right-handed ergo...leaving me with the option of mousing right handed or using it very "un-ergonmically" with my right hand. The last time I bothered going to my fly casting class, they asked me why I was casting left-handed. That's when I knew I was done. Iddjits.

Kudos to Seth at Creekside Seattle for being so cool as to turn the vise around backwards and tie left-handed for my tying class, so I could learn it the "right" way for me.
  10. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    I'd be game for that, even more so if you did it on an evening during the week.
  11. Minx New Member

white marsh, va
    How do you cast lefthanded? There are some things out there for you southpaws that are neutral.....like bikes with training wheels, safety scissors, tablespoons. We right handed Barons are looking out for y'all...... really. Question, can you use a lefthanded chair at a right handed desk? :rolleyes: :confused:
  12. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    Just like a right-handed caster, only with the rod in the other hand.

Apparently it's technically possible, but I've heard of people getting weird headaches from it. That said, it's widespead in Asia, with no apparent problems. Go figure.
  13. Minx New Member

white marsh, va
    ...and I thought it was just a hangover. Hmmmm....I better check the bottom of the chair :beer2:
  14. Minx New Member

white marsh, va
    Oh yeah, I go to the hill on Wednesday for a week of trout fishing, I'll try the left handed thing.......news at eleven :)
  15. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +115 / 0
    Allison,

I don't think that tying dry flies is such a daunting task that one has to progress cautiously through the learning cycle. In an introductory fly fishing class at a local university last year, we taught beginners to tie Adams as their first dry fly. That's not the simplest dry pattern, but the students coped with elevating and separating the little hackle-tip wings, and winding two different colors of hackles nicely, which brought them to the point where they could cope with most dry fly patterns.

I think that a great dry pattern to learn from, as well as to fish, is the Tom Thumb. (Why this very effective, simple dry is so ignored in the States, even here, close to its home in B. C., is a mystery - or a clue to the power of cultural norms.) The Tom Thumb will quickly teach you proper proportions, and lets the beginner bypass hackle-winding.
  16. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    Here's another annoying feature of left handed fly tying. The open end of the hook faces away from you if you are tying left-handed. making it easier to slip the thread into the opend eye. I always get to caught on the first wraps, when tying off the thread, and once or twice per fly after that.

Pretty annoying--any easy fixes for that?
  17. Minx New Member

white marsh, va
    ....and now for the Eleven O'clock News.....yes, right handers can cast lefthanded :)