Leland gave me a fish!! now I'm inspired!!!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tony, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Media:
    I went to a popular beach today to try my luck and even tho the day started with adverse conditions wind, rain and the destruction of my line, it caught on something and was cut completely in half I was not deterred, I have jacket, the wind yes less than ideal but can dealt with and with a quick and dirty line splice and I was out there casting away my major annoyance as it turned out was the ticking of the splice both when I cast and upon the retrieve, it did really suck but no spare and nothing open so you go with what you got or go home. So there I was bitching to my self about ruining my line pissed about my inability to get much distance with my casts due to the joint hanging up in the guides and lets not get into how it messed up my retrieve when I hooked a fish, a sculpin the first of many, something about the splice catching on the guides during the retrieve gave them a really good shot at the fly and they were more than willing to take it, damn it, but I persevered and caught a nice little 12'' salmon, ok at this point I was going to be happy with anything as long as it wasn't another sculpin I might have possibly even been happy with a few flounders, well I released it and few casts later and I caught a small but in my opinion bonkable silver and with that decided to head home dinner in hand. While I had been fishing I noticed another another fly fisher down the beach a ways and had from time to time been watching him fish and as I walk down the beach I realized it was Leland and at that moment he hooked a fish, I should have known without asking what he was using but I asked anyway and got the standard reply a popper its all I use he said and then he offered me the fish which after a moments thought I accepted. I've tied his pattern and have used it on cutts I've also tried fishing it for salmon but without much confidence never having invested the time it takes to make a popper a viable part of my arsenal I've just always gone back to a clouser if I didn't get a hit fairly rapidly but after today I think I'll dig out my poppers and maybe leave the clousers at home and make myself put in some time experimenting with them until I gain confidence in them because they certainly do work and Leland if you happen to read this I regret not staying longer and getting some pointers when I had the chance also I realized I never introduced myself my name is Tony, thanks for the fish and the inspiration.

2. dibling

dibling Active Member

Right on! I was wondering if there was any catching going on yet. Great to hear.

3. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Tony, I should have taken a photo of the two fish in your stripping basket before you left. I turned two more fish after you left. One bow wake was enough to take my breath away.

By the way guys, check out the new parking area at PNP. Those are mine and Tony's cars.
    Leland.
    PNP Lot.JPG

4. holtad

holtad Active Member

Anyone fish from Kayaks at/PNP? I was wondering if there is a launch near by or if anyone has comments about how tough fishing would be out of a yak.

5. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    WOW! I used to live out there and fish it all the time, about 15yrs ago... I've been back since but dang has that place changed! Before you know it they will charge for parking! :eek:

6. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Directly behind where Leland is standing taking this photo is an archeological dig that was initiated when construction of the new parking lot uncovered human bones dating to pre-European settlement. If you get a chance check it out.

I suspect the latest rain will stimulate coho activity and migration into the PS.

7. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Pave Paradise and build a bigger parking lot.

Now more people and cars.....

Stonefish likes this.
  8. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Call someplace paradise, kiss it good by!

LB

CLO likes this.
  9. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Awesome. The OP makes a nice report without naming the beach but you feel the need to add pictures. Smooth. Why not add directions and the ferry schedule as well.

CLO, Josh Smestad, SciGuy and 3 others like this.
  10. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Thanks for the beach advertisement. Quick, everyone buy some poppers and rush to PNP this weekend so you can have a chance at some of those 12" coho with all the parking space you need!

11. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Fishing from a kayak there would be nice, if you enjoy running a gauntlet of boats and being targetted by beach casters throwing lead projectiles. If you have a kayak there are much better places to spend your time without dealing with the combat fisheries!

12. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Or "Occupy Leland's House" in Kent carrying Popper Effigies.

13. dibling

dibling Active Member

Oh shit, one of the most popular fishing spots in Washington was listed on the internet! A public park at that! How will people cope?

It gets tiring reading claims of spot burning when everyone's taxes paid for the park as does our discovery pass, yet people want to treat any information as treading on your personal private property.

I don't even like the tax argument.

More important, can we treat this place like a community where we are willing to share information, success and failures and not treat people like shit over it?

I like to live vicariously through others that can get out and win and lose and so that when my fat ass is sitting at the computer for 9 hours, I can pretend I'm elsewhere. Let's not treat information sharing as a criminal offense.

</end rant>

(I love you all)

14. nailbender

nailbender Active Member

Media:
    dibling I think those days are over. With 50,700 members on this site and twice as many guests as members on most of the time. To many rats in the cage and getting more everyday.

DimeBrite likes this.
  15. holtad

holtad Active Member

This is what I was afraid of. Thanks for confirming.

16. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Thanks for pointing that out Tacoma Red (I walked right by it early this month without looking).
    Is there any chance these are the pre-European remains of a paleo-fisherman who couldn't keep the red hot salmon fishing a secret within the tribe? Did they discover any buckskin poppers (i.e., paleo-poppers)?

Irafly, Go Fish and Stonefish like this.
  17. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    I fish 5-7 days per week during the summer on beaches ranging from Pt. Townsend through Bainbridge. I have repeatedly observed that absolutely nothing will saturate a beach with fly flinging yuppies quite like a post on the web. Always how. Never where.

In case you haven't figured it out by now, this is how it works: If you post a report giving specifics about a beach and...
    1. ...you are not a local (oh, say, maybe from Lynnwood or Green Lake?) then the locals will be pissed
    2. ...it is your local beach then the locals will be pissed (and you are stupid)

18. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

1) I'm being sarcastic about the Occupy remark. No offense intended.
    2) Everyone knows that any point of land or public park is a decent place to catch fish. But I can have a "NIMBY" attitude sometimes.
    3) I like the semi-permeable base-structure of the PNP parking lot.
    4) I wish for more public beach access....

Paleo-Popper-Man was a loner (so far as the bone-diggers know) since no other remains have been found to date as well as any type of artifacts/midden (PNP was hugely abundant with clams and oysters a very long time ago so I'm sure they'll find more stuff). When I was talking to the guy in charge of the dig he quickly got called away before I could ask if he thought it was a ceremonial burial site or an isolated forgotten death. I also don't know the completeness of the bone find. Perhaps a "slightly-dented" skull to warn of divulging fishing locations??? I'm leaving now to go "salt" the dig site with an Outdoor Emporium popper.

So if by some weird fortuitous chance you should find yourself all alone at PNP it the early morning hours...you're not "really" alone.

DimeBrite likes this.
  19. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    First, it's a county park and not a state park so Discovery Passes don't have anything to do with it. Second, how is your internet dream changed in the slightest if you don't know the exact beach something takes place at? I don't think occasionally posting about a specific beach ruins it forever, but I would bet money that there will be more people at PNP this weekend because of this post. There will be some people sitting around deciding where to go fishing (or if they should go fishing) and think "Hey, they're catching fish at PNP, I'll go there." Guess what, there are people catching fish at about every beach right now (although not many anywhere), but this character (and likely a handful more) is going to PNP because there was a report. They will likely pass other good beaches on their way, but since there wasn't a report at those they will be going to PNP. I've literally seen this happen before and a super overcrowded beach is not fun for anyone there.

Reports on specific places you caught a fish don't REALLY help anyone anyways. These fish are almost always on the move and a beach that's hot one morning, might be dead then next morning or the next week. How is posting a specific name helping anyone? All it does is potentially add more bodies to an already crowded space for no real reason.

It's easy to say it doesn't matter if it's not a beach you normally fish.

SciGuy likes this.
  20. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    No, but they did find tens of thousands of elongated diamond-shaped objects that had been dyed an unusually bright shade of pink by using flower petals from rhododendron macrophyllum. They are thought to be have been used in an ancient ritual to fight off an evil spirit named Castsyelloweagleclawfromlawnchair, which translates loosely into "pink plague."