Lenice Lake: Blue Damsels?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Peter Pancho, May 1, 2003.

1. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Wife and I will be heading out there sometime next week and was wondering if the Blue Damsels are out and about at Lenice? My wife can't wait, se hooked into a 19" brown last year with a Damsel fly pattern. Thanks for the info guys!

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men" Matthew 4:19

2. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

My buddy was up on Lenice yesterday and e mailed me his report which never mentioned any damels (flies or nymphs). They should be thinking about coming off as the days have started warm up.

Good luck!

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
    line between religion and fly
    fishing" Norman Maclean

3. gotchasr

gotchasr Member

Media:
    I think it is still a little early for damsels, but I'd bring some callibaetis patterns.

4. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I was there yesterday and I saw a few damsels in the reeds. They were generating no interest whatsoever from the fish.

Leland

5. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I guess the month of Sept. is the best, literally thousands on and around the surface and browns and rainbows taking from the top,bottom and mid-air! No lie.

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men" Matthew 4:19

6. darik

darik guy without a clever handle

Media:
    I made my first trip to Lenice today (caught only one fish, but it was a nice 20" rainbow). Saw a couple damsel nymphs late morning and a couple adults in the afternoon, but nothing really constituting a "hatch". Looks like it's still mostly Callibaetis and Chironomid/Midge action.

7. Adam O'Hair

Adam O'Hair Member

Bring the chironomids(some emergers would be a good choice), callibaetis, scuds and leeches. The usuals for this time of year. However, be ready with the damsel nymphs, they're not migrating in force, but they are moving near the weeds, so don't be too shy to tie one on and fish off of a type II, or floating line and long leader(if the above are not producing).
    Good luck! Happy fishing.

-Adam

8. saltchuck

saltchuck New Member

My experience at Leniece/Nunnally has been to wait until later in May before trying adult damsels. But this was not a tough winter so they may be early.

9. Jerry Arlington

Jerry Arlington Member

Home Page:
    I have fished Lenice every week since opened at least twice a week and camped over spring break for several days.

Chronies and bloodworms and callibeatis nymphs. I don't have patience for bobber fishing so I fish naked with slow hand twist retrieve. Dry line.

Had more fun on surface. Beatis and midge. I had a great midge day last Sunday. Only caught three but had one break off, and turned three. However, I had at least a 15 or more takes that missed.

It was an 18# black body with green head, tied with a gallows type hackle (in a light color) tied over entire back except for first two turns of thread body on tail end section (I use a heavier thread to make body). It floats really well; puts a great foot print on the water (unlike the grifith.nat which is just a fur ball) and you can see the damned thing. Best midge imitation I have ever used or at least I had the best results with it. Casting to rising fish and had takes just laying in water waiting to cast to a rise. For the lack of a better name I call it "Arlington's midge".

Since there are several colors of midges I have now tied it in several different body colors but I am keeping the hackle light so I can see the damned thing.

Hope this helps

10. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Got a picture of it?

11. Jerry Arlington

Jerry Arlington Member

Home Page:
    Haven't yet but I'll try taking a couple with my digital camera this weekend and load them on my website:

I'll be fishing Lenice Sunday and maybe Saturday afternoon with my new Bucks Bag Extreme Pontoon boat. Thanks to a couple of post on the site I ended up spending several hundred dollars more on my Pb than I had intended. HA

I guess I'll find out if my midge pattern works as well as it did the first time I used it!

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/englishsetter

12. Jerry Arlington

Jerry Arlington Member

Home Page:
    "Arlington's Gallows Midge” strikes again.

Fished Saturday afternoon but no hatches! Caught one and had a couple break off with red floss bloodworm.

Sunday different story. Got on the lake about 11:30 or so. Went fishless until about 2:30. I saw several people catch fish on cronies but I don't have the mentality for bobber fishing, not that there is anything wrong with it I just can't do it for more than five minutes.

Anyway a hatch starts just as the wind comes up and it starts raining! I hooked 14 fish and landed 10 with four breaking off, with the mighty Arlington's Gallows Midge, from 2:30 to 6:00.

During that period I had to get next to the west in to get out of the wind because it was draggin the anchor and me. It calmed a bit and I went back out to the reed islands. I caught five in a four to five inch wind chop on the water around the reed islands on the west end before the wind started dragging me again. This fly is almost unsinkable even in an #18. Going to tie up some 20# also.

I picked up two casting blind to the shoreline with the wind pushing me about 5 miles an hour heading towards the islands across from the launch area. Sorta like hopper fishing on the yak. Splat pick it up and spat again.

Finally got to a wind protected cove behind the islands and broke the four off and landed five more. It was great.

The gallows hackle color doesn't seem to make a difference. I fished both cream and grizzly but the body color does. Black or dark green skinny threat body, both worked but only in an 18#. I tried a 16# but to big I guess. Sight casting to fish rising did pick up one with fly setting on water waiting for next rise. Just couldn't keep up with him and he broke off, what a torpedo and aerial acrobat! Another broke me off on the take while I was maneuvering the boat to shelter.

I landed 5 fish on the same fly so it is very tough fly also.

Didn't get a chance to take pictures of the fly. I did give a fellow fisherman one Saturday when I was leaving. I talked to him on the lake Sunday and he lost it on the first cast to a fish! Midge hatch around 9:30 sunday also, he said.