Lenice March 16 2013

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Ben Swaner, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Ben Swaner Member

Walla Walla
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Fished Lenice on Saturday for the first time and was not disappointed. A buddy of mine and I were the first on the lake Saturday morning and immediately got into fish trolling a variety of leech patterns. Both of us had half a dozen fish to the boat before the chronomid cult showed up. My best guess would be that there were ~25 other boats on the water. Most fisherman were bobber watching but we continued to troll most of the day. Both of us stopped counting after a dozen fish. We were fishing from kayaks and got a lot of funny looks from guys in kick boats. Kayaks are by far the best route if you want to cover a lot of water. My biggest fish of the day was 21" and my buddy picked up a 18" football bobber watching after his arms wore out. A good wind picked and threatning rain moved all but three other die hards off the lake. The bite kinda died down after the wind storm but more fish were caught. Awesome day on the water and tired arms to show for it. I'll post some pics when I get them off my camera. Fun time had by all. Well except for one gentleman who fell out of his pontoon... Looked cold!

IMG_1219.JPG
    Beautiful morning at the parking lot

IMG_1227.JPG
    Da lake...

IMG_1225.JPG
    Football!

lenice kayak copy.jpg
    One of the nicer fish for the day. Look at that cheese ball grin.

IMG_1229.JPG
    Beautiful colors.
  2. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +684 / 1
    Sounds like a great day. I'm just getting into the stillwater trout game. I'm not sure how fast to troll at. If there a general rule of thumb, or does it just depend on the situation?
  3. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +349 / 0
    Ben,
    Sounds like a great day!

Patrick. As for trolling, I don't do it a lot but when I do I find it is a very good way to explore a new lake and figure out what method to fish next.

As for speed, when temps are cold I start out low and very slow!

This time of year i let the fish tell me what they like and pay close attention to the kind of takes I get on each strike. Sometimes in spring wind drifting a fly is just the perfect speed! I enjoy casting and drifting mooching the fly if the lake is not to busy.

Have fun practicing
  4. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Chironomid cult...lol
    Thanks for the report.
    SF
  5. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Our chant is "Midge, midge, midge, .......".
  6. Ben Swaner Member

Walla Walla
    Patrick I'm by no means a Stillwater expert. I'd say we were trolling at about walking speed. Sometimes just letting the breeze push us along.
  7. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Thanks Ben. I've been lake fishing in my small zodiac with a little electric motor. I think it's a little to fast, even on low.
  8. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Troll just fast enough for the fish to bite!!
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  9. Ben Swaner Member

Walla Walla
    Pics added.
  10. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +958 / 1
    Saturday and Sunday were a bit windy in Moses Lake. I suspect you had a bit down there also.
  11. robl Member

Richland WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Chironomid Cult . . . Love it.

I'll proudly raise my hand as a card carrying crazy!

Haven't fished Lenice some time though. Too long.

Great report!
  12. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +93 / 0
    Nice pics and report Ben. I played golf Sat morning and it was quite windy here, then got worse. I had planned on fishing Lenice on Sunday but the wind was terrible here in the TriCities so I ended up doing yard work instead. Maybe I should have made the trek.

wayne
  13. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Thanks for the advice Jeff. I can see myself moving to more of a cast and strip type fishing. I'll definatly be taking you advice on trolling to figure out what the fish want.
  14. airedale Member

vernon, bc
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    patrick.....if you could pick up a Traxis by minn kota, you could make your speed whatever you wished.....