Lenice Report 9/19/2013

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Starman77, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Starman77

Starman77 Active Member

Gave Lenice a try on Thursday (sunny & clear, 61 to 75 degrees, very little wind) and found the water temperature to be 63 to 65 degrees (as measured on my Fishin' Buddy). So, it appears that the water has cooled enough to be safe for fishing, although I did try to play, land and release the fish as quickly as possible so as to not overly stress the fish; no fish needed any reviving. The water was very clear with about 14' of visibility. There was a light hatch of callibaetis and a very few chironomids, but I saw lots of small waterboatmen in the shallows and I had my best luck using small waterboatmen patterns. The shallows were very weedy and if I caught a fish in the shallows it would get tangled up in the weeds, so I mainly fished the deeper water that was mostly free of weeds. I used my RIO InTouch Deep 7 full sinking line with a 7' leader down to a 3X RIO Fluoroflex tippet to fish the 12 to 15 foot depths using very short strips, very quick retrieves (waterboatmen move in very quick, very erratic movements). Landed 27 rainbows in the 12 to 16 inch range, most in the 13 to 15 inch range. Most were very silvery and fat and good fighters; most of these fish appeared to be very fresh, but some of the 15 to 16 inchers looked to have been caught previously. The fish seemed to be spread out everywhere, although the greatest concentration seemed to be in the deep water at the west end of the lake. The larger fish (meaning 18 inches or larger) were mysteriously missing; maybe there was a summer or winter kill that wiped out that generation? Never spotted any big fish on my Fishin' Buddy, but saw lots of small fish in the SideFinder view. No spiny rays were spotted or caught. My friend landed a similar number and size of fish using an adult damselfly pattern and small leech patterns in the deeper water. Besides us, there were only three other fishermen on the lake. Only a few mosquitoes around and didn't get bitten. Very enjoyable outing!

Rex

wavejim, PT, jwg and 4 others like this.
  2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Thank you for killing my weekend! I planned to make it out to the area this weekend but now I have home projects to deal with and I read this report, thanks, thanks a lot!

(For those who don't understand my humor, I liked his post.)

anti.team likes this.
  3. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

It will be a tad breezy. The wind is cranking-up as I type.

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Thanks for the qualifying statement Ira...I was just about to pull the trigger on a stinging volley of admonishment :D.

Great report Starman...good to hear the lakes are cooling down and the fall bite is just getting started. I'm hoping for a drier than usual October.

5. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I would have expected nothing less from you ;)

6. tyeoneon

tyeoneon Active Member

I fished Lenice on Saturday! No fish biting-lousy wind! Water temp back up to 75 degrees, and biting flies everywhere:eek:. Stay home!

Actually, fishing was good! 12-15 inch fat bows. I caught all of mine on a green leech pattern with a red glass bead and a little flash in the tail. Bite was best from 1-4 PM. Water temp was 59-62 degrees and the fish were really healthy. I did hook up with one fish that refused to leave the bottom. Once it realized that it was hooked, a head shake broke off my 4x. Even the 12-14 inchers snapped the fluorocarbon. I'm not complaining, though! It was a great way to welcome in Autumn!

7. wavejim

wavejim New Member

There is at least 1 fish pushing 22" ( I did not have a measure with me) and it was a slab. I fish the Basin with a 5 wt rod and thought it might break.

8. Dawg

Dawg New Member

Fished Lenice yesterday with a buddy. Got on the water about 1:00pm and fished until it was almost too dark to find the car in the parking lot. We both landed about 9 fish, and lost a few others, so overall a good day for us. We both used intermediate lines, and 4or 5X leaders. Most of the fish were caught on either olive or black leech patterns, letting the lines sink down 10-15 feet and then using short strips to retrieve. I put on a hale Bopp Leech with a bead head, with a black, purple, gold color scheme and caught 2 of my larger fish on it. Probably should have tried a full sink line to get deeper and see if I could find some others down there. Pretty calm day, intermittent light wind, and about 65 degrees when we started. I forgot my thermometer, so not sure what the water temp was...Almost all of the fish were 13-18 ", and all seemed strong and healthy. We both switched to floating lines as dusk approached, with a fair number of fish rising. They seemed to be eating really small, light colored bugs. Not sure what they were, but neither of us had any luck getting them to eat a dry. We tried midge patterns, small attractor flies, but did not solve the puzzle. Any thoughts or advice on what we might have tried? Great day on the lake. beautiful fall day.

Gregg Lundgren and Starman77 like this.