Lenice Reports?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Lostcreeker, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Lostcreeker Member

Woodinville Washington
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Heading to Lenice on Friday. Any recent reports?
  2. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    Be sure to measure the water temperature.
    jay
  3. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +178 / 0
    At least ONE WDFW biologist has stated that fishing during high water temperatures is hurting the trout fishery in the Columbia Basin.

Maybe we need a summer closure on a few of the quality lakes in the basin and see how that affects the fishery.
  4. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +306 / 0
    Daytime highs around 90 and lows in the 60's. A little early for prime time. Use heavy tippet and turn 'em loose quickly.
    Denny likes this.
  5. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +480 / 0
    As stated, it's been hot pretty steady over here . . . water is quite warm. Heck, carp have even moved back in to river holes from the flats & back waters.
  6. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +165 / 0
    I leave the basin lakes alone this time of year. Not preaching, I just don't want to put additional stress on the fish durning the warm water peiod. The fish get fiesty again a bit later. There are better options during the high H2O temps.

MB
  7. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +889 / 1
    I've been out on the bigger lakes lately and the trout seem to be deep as in the 20-35' depths.
  8. Lostcreeker Member

Woodinville Washington
  9. Lostcreeker Member

Woodinville Washington
    Thanks all. Think I'll skip Lenice and stick with the Yak. And maybe I'll figure out how to post on the forum soon.
    Denny likes this.
  10. Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

auburn,wa
    Ratings: +67 / 7
    Go hook in some pinks using that 5 wt just one or two on light gear would make up for the drive and baking in the sun over East since you live up North
  11. Golden Trout Active Member

North Central Washington
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    I really enjoy your thoughtful posts, Vlad. Could you connect me with the WDFW biologist or at least his/her report.
  12. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    It was Jeff Korft out of Ephrata. It was almost a decade ago at a public meeting that I had the discussion with him. I hope he remembers his comment. It would be interesting to find out if he has changed his opinion in the past few years.

I think a summer closure for the Lenice chain makes sense. It would always be an easy way to cut down on poaching during the summer since a vehicle in the parking lot would almost always be a poacher. June 15th to September 15th would be my preferred dates.

The other closure would be Dusty Lake. That one could match the Quincy lakes closure.
    troutpocket and Ron McNeal like this.
  13. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +306 / 0
    As an aside, a summer closure on eastern WA lakes isn't unprecedented. Jameson (put-and-take regs) is closed July 5 - Sept 30. I'm curious why you would eliminate a fall fishery on Dusty? The Quincy lakes close July 31.
  14. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    I would change the Quincy lakes closure to July 5th through September 15th. I would include Dusty just for ease of management. Remember this is just a test to see if it works. So five years max to see the effect. Quincy Lakes does have the issue of fisherman/hunter conflicts in October.

The basin is going to change dramatically in the next decade or so. Grant County is just starting to boom and given their economic advantages in green energy, fiber-optic network, cheap land and labor, and good transportation network. The Europeans have seen the "green" future and it is in Moses Lake!!

All those "rural" basin lakes are going to be urban fisheries in the not so distant future.
  15. bakerite Active Member

Baker City Oregon
    Ratings: +63 / 0
    As I recall, back when the Lenice Chain opened up it was on a split season....opened with the lowland lakes, closed during the summer then reopened maybe Oct. 1st to Nov. 30th. I wonder why they changed it.