lenice vs nunnally

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by toadthedry, Oct 16, 2002.

1. toadthedry

toadthedry Member

I was hoping to get some information on the general differences between these lakes and the differences between how to fish these lakes. I have fished lake lenice a few times this year and have never fished nunnally. I am wondering on which lake I should concentrate my efforts.

Thanks
    mike

2. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    Not having a lot of experience on these lakes, I'll tell you what a Diehard Nun/lenice fly fisherman told me. Nunnally has more fish in the 18" range. Lenice has fish either 12-14" or over 20". Kind of a toss up? :DUNNO YT

3. callibaetis

callibaetis Guest

Toad,
    Here are a few differences...
    -Nunnally is a little bit of a longer walk in
    -On Nunnally there is no place to hide from the wind
    -Nunnally has more "flats" for wading
    -Nunnally is longer and narrower than Lenice so it has a lot more shoreline to cover which is a good thing most of the time
    -In my experience the fish are the same size
    -Lenice receives more pressure
    -Lenice is easier to cover in a float tube
    I prefer to fish Nunnally because it is bigger and less crowded. I've taken my pram down there. It was hard work but well worth it as I was able to cover the lake very well. Another bonus with Nunnally is Bobby Lake which is the eastern arm of Nunnally. It is often mistaken for Merry Lake which is further to the east and seperated from Nunnally by a small waterfall and stream. Bobby is mostly all shallows and fishes well early and late in the year.
    Anyway these are the differences as I see them, I think it all boils down to personal preference so try both.

4. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Media:
    I have to agree with Callibaetis about Nunnally. I have never fished Lenice due to the crowds. Not to say the Nunnally does not get crowded because it can. However just like Callibaetis has stated this is a bigger lake and longer so you get away from the crowds. The Bobby Arm is my favorite place to fish. I will usually hike into this area and fish Bobby's Arm and then move into the biiger water of Nunnaly after a couple hours. I usually fish this lake a lot during the spring, I have yet to hit it in the fall but would like to get over there before it closes in November.

5. Toadthedry,

I've found both to be excellent, however have done better and spend most of my time on Nunnally. It's true, Bobby tends to be better early spring and fall, while the main part on Nunnally is better in the warmer periods. This is mainly due to plant growth. Nunnally is much bigger and deeper and can be very tough to manage in the wind (although my partners in tight-line addiction and I have had 20 fish days in gale force conditions).

One thing I've noticed in the late summer is the difference between the two lakes during damsel hatches. In my experience, Nunnally seems more reliable and more productive when it comes to adult damsel action near the shoreline. Could be that I just didn't have my A game when fishing Lenice this past season.

Bottom line here is that you really can't go wrong in these lakes. Fish are monsters in both and really work over a 5 weight. Long, stout leaders are reccomended if you're not into long distance release. Leeches worked on a slow strip variation is KILLER. Hold on baby!

We are all very lucky to have these lakes basically in our backyard. I've yet to find better lakes anywhere in NA to spend my days on!

-EJR

6. dryfly

dryfly New Member

Lenice has the benifit of the small catail islands on the north side to cut down on the wind factor.

Besides that, I'd agree with the majority of what others said. Nunnally had good shelf around almost the entire south side and the hogs criuse there during the damsel season for sure! Sometimes I just hike in without floatube and wade/shore fish by watching the water and "picking" a single fish (aka sight casting). Pretty hard to do this at Lenice (well, sort of - the rocks?)

I have caught fish into the 20+ range in both lakes so they are about equal in that respect.

Do what I usually do... go to both, meaning if you drive 150 miles over there from the west side, try one in morning and one in evening ;-)

7. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    Hey dry fly, I emailed you a while back. Just wanted to see if you ever wanted to go fishing. Never heard back. Maybe you met me and thought I was a idiot or something. :DUNNO YT