Lenore Poachers Get Theirs

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by miyawaki, Apr 10, 2013.

1. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I thought there was something like a thousand dollar fine....... per fish. That would hurt. I wonder why they don't put up surveillance on the stream. They have night vision trail cams that would work. At least you could establish patterns with the poachers and nail more of them.

2. PfleugerPhister

PfleugerPhister Active Member

Wow, that's disgusting. Shitty tasting fish aside, that's human greed to the max

3. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

They should make them eat all those shitty tasteing fish right before they Waterboard them to find out who they are selling these fish to. People who are involved in this large scale poaching have a market outlet somewhere for that many fish.

Alex MacDonald and Lugan like this.
  4. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    I call shotgun on their Tundra!

Patrick Gould likes this.
  5. Seize there houses that where they stored all the illegal gear. I hope they get there fudge packed tightly in jail by a sic Nate type

6. Pete Bridge

Pete Bridge Member

I bet the same shit happens at Rocky Ford and Lenice, etc.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  7. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    It's real easy to net the spawning channel at Lenore. Not so easy at the above two locations.

8. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

I remember talking with a couple prosecutors about WDFW cases. They told me that a lot of times the wardens would put a ton of time into their arrests and their reports would be long and meticulous, unlike a lot of police reports. I kind of got the feeling, though, that time and resources were too precious for the county to really nail 'em and make a statement. Even though the WDFW officers would really try to push the DA to go after the cases, the reality, I think, is that that the deterrent effect and the net benefit to the community isn't seen to justify the time and resources required to prove a poaching case.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  9. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    thanks, Rob; politicians at work here, no doubt.:mad: Trying to get away is "eluding" in my book; doesn't matter if they're behind the wheel or on foot, bicycle, train or ATV. Different levels my ass!

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  10. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I sent a note to Team Ephrata thanking them for their efforts and got a nice reply back.

MB

Islander and Jim Wallace like this.
  11. Bob Newman

Bob Newman Active Member

Well that explains why fishing at Lenore has been going downhill for the last few years. I spent a day last fall watching thousands of mayflies and caddis sitting on the water not being eaten.

12. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I was at Lenore Tuesday scoping out fishing areas. A guy was fishing the north end and said he caught 8 fish all day. That's kinda slow. I did not see any bird activity at that location. I did see swallows at some other locations on the lake.

13. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    This crime seems like it was too sophisticated to be their first time and probably helps explain the poor fishing over the last few years. I hope that they charge these guys with everything possible and I am going to contact the Prosecutor's Office and ask them to do just that.

Anyway, if anyone wants to contact the Prosecutor, here is the contact info. This is an elected position and fishing brings lots of tourist dollars to the county so a little public outcry couldn't hurt. I know I haven't fished Lenore in the last few years as the fishing has gone downhill - and now I think I know why it has been fishing so poorly.

Prosecuting Attorney: D. Angus Lee
    Chief Deputy Prosecutor: Ed Owens
    Mailing Address: P.O. Box 37, Ephrata, WA 98823
    Main phone: (509) 754-2011 | FAX: (509) 754-6574

14. Jeff Peacock

Jeff Peacock Member

Thanks for pointing the event out Leland.
    Kudos to WDFW and the officers involved.
    Message sent to prosecutors!

Freestone likes this.
  15. FLYFLICKER

FLYFLICKER Chris

I’m a catch and release guy, but if the fish taste bad, could they have been after the eggs for caviar? I suppose you would need a lot of fish to produce enough product to sell. Just a thought.

16. Ben Swaner

Ben Swaner Active Member

Vitaliy Kachinskiy, 23, of Mount Vernon and three Everett men: Sergey Otroda, 32, Igor Bigun, 26 and Oleg Pavlus, 25.​
    He also quotes the local enforcement chief:
    “We have members of two ethnic groups involved with an annual thing of illegal netting that’s causing great concern for our fish program,” said WDFW Capt. Chris Anderson in Ephrata. “One group has been caught targeting mostly whitefish at Banks Lake and this group was targeting the big spawning cutthroats at Lenore. The 242 fish were just one night’s catch. We’re not sure how many nights or weeks worth of fish they’ve taken out of the lake.”
    And Landers notes:
    This is a huge bummer for fishermen. Not only do we deal with environmental issues that plague fish, but also with human pond scum that will do this to a fishery that means so much to anglers and the local economy.

Smoked fish is a culturally significant food amongst Eastern Euros. My guess is that was were there intentions...

17. Jeff Peacock

Jeff Peacock Member

UPDATE:
    Got a call back from Dawn in the prosecutors office. She was very pleasant and seemed quite behind the outrage. She said she's received a number of calls, SO KEEP THE PRESSURE ON!!!!

Islander likes this.
  18. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

Nice to see they don't all get away.
    like to see the same story only for the tweekers that have done so much damage.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  19. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Really??? :confused:

Although I think these A-holes should get the full punishment they deserve (and yes, I've sent my personal message to the Grant County prosecutor), do you really want to trade a human life for any number of fish?

I know your sig says you're the "meanest S.O.B. in the valley" but you'd want to see someone die for stealing fish?

Sorry bud, that's just not my philosophy.

Obviously, YMMV.

20. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Mr. Lee is as a corrupt individual as you will find anywhere. I bet you TU could bribe him into going after more charges. Otherwise I doubt he'll be too interested.