Lenore Poachers Get Theirs

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by miyawaki, Apr 10, 2013.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    It has. Does anyone recall the milk-jug float brigade about 15 years ago? Apparently the winds got out of control as they can do in that area and the midnight poachers lost control of their floats and hook lines. Like this situation, I'm hard pressed to understand what motivates people to do this...what the hell do they do with the fish?

2. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Hey....that comment on signs gives me great idea!!!.....why not pass a law declaring the area a "poaching free zone" then we won't have any problems....

3. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Thats a good idea ,Except many poachers are high school dropouts and can't read therefore the signs would be useless.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  4. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    +1

5. dbk

dbk Active Member

The irony being this thread is full of comments about the people who committed this crime posted by many (if not all) who have never met them and do not know them, and yet are very quick to "preach" about who these people are and what should happen to them.....

gator1954 and Irafly like this.
  6. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    A deliberate law breaker is a law breaker... not likely one I care to meet. Showing that little respect for a resource that anyone paying attention to life knows is challenged is bullshit and they should get hammered for it!

Jim Wallace likes this.
  7. dbk

dbk Active Member

another irony... we have such respect for the resource we claim to know (the environment) and yet have no respect for the life of a person whom we have never met, and yet are as quick to dismiss or "throw away" that person as (in this case) that person threw away the life of those fish we are so desperately trying to protect....

Irafly likes this.
  8. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    Lighten up, Francis. People are venting and expressing their frustrations over the actions of these scumbags. We don't "know them"? Sure we do. They are thieves. Ripoff artists. Criminals. Who needs to meet a thief? Their actions speak for themselves. They are no different than people who break into your house and rip you off while you're at work, or break into your car while you're parked and trying to enjoy yourself by going fishing.

Many of us have seen our local fisheries degrade and go to hell recently, thanks to selfish scum like these thieving bastards. We don't "know them"? Of course we do. This was a well-orchestrated crime that took planning and was likely successful several times before they were caught. They ripped us ALL off. I could care less what led them to commit the crime. They did it and now they have to pay for it.

9. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Honestly, I think the worst punishment would be to send them home to whatever shithole they crawled out of. Living in the eastern bloc countries is worse than American prison.

Salmo_g and Jim Wallace like this.
  10. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

I'd be $100 it' the roe they're mostly after. Or that this is one of the more saleable components.

11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Yes. Prosecute 'em, fine 'em, etc, and then deport 'em. That would be the preferred way to get rid of 'em. But I'm not concerned if any of them died when trying to escape. I see that the missing perp survived and was rounded up. I actually think that would have been a good thing if he had expired. One less piece of shit poacher. Let us not forget that these perps are professional organized criminals. They have no regard for life, be it a fish's or your own. They would probably kill you if necessary to keep from getting turned in.

Breck likes this.
  12. There are various Russian grocery stores and one in particular that we walked into and amazed to see whole smoked trout of
    very large size in the deli case. We wondered where such sized fish would
    come from and at what cost as the case was packed with several trophy sized fish. I'm sure they'd make the most of the roe as well as the flesh.

13. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    No one told the guy to jump in the lake. He could have manned up and taken his punishment.

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Compassion comes with a cost. Leniency proves that crime pays.

Philosophically I think that most of the people obey most of the laws most of the time. It's that subset of potential humanity that needs to be hit however hard it takes to "bring 'em around." I'm an old liberal who has finally concluded that lethal force is the appropriate response to B & E, . . . and poaching unless they were starving. Somebody driving a 2005 Tacoma isn't starving. They got off way easy.

Bill Aubrey, Islander, tkww and 3 others like this.
  15. teedub

teedub Active Member

I can't pass up throwing in my two cents worth.. I don't need to know these clowns. I am assuming the Officers were telling the truth and the story presented is close to the facts - the courts can sort that out. Having said that, I have zero respect for the shit heads that come to this county to ruin US resources because life is better here and the punishment is waaaaaay less harsh than Russia. I don't need to know them at all! I would like to see them on a milk carton, in a version of Russian language meaning they were deported - post haste!

16. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

I have a buddy that works for WSP he checks alot of people when time alows on the waters, and has yet to check a russian with a valid fishing license, yet!

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  17. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    It has been a bummer to watch the once productive fishery of lake Lenore nose dive. I used to fish it regularly but have not over the past six years do to the unusually slow fishing. Hopefully with these guys out of the equation and more emphasis on enforcement around the lake it will return to the fishery it once was.

Islander likes this.
  18. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Freestone and I just spent the day in Olympia at the IFPAG meeting. I had an opportunity to ask an enforcement sergeant afterwards about what would have happened if the seized vehicle may actually have been owned by a bank while the owner was making payments.

He pointed out that since the bank has a lien on the vehicle and uses it as collateral to secure the loan, seizing the perp's truck meant WDFW probably returned it to the bank who actually owned it. Since the bank was innocently unaware of the owner's intention to use their truck in committing a crime, they typically return it to the original owner in hopes they will keep making payments. However, it the truck is seized again after another crime, the state really does seize the vehicle and both the perp and the bank lose. I asked him how often that really happens and he said, "More times than you'd think."

So it looks like the truck owner will likely get his truck back. The question is, can he keep it until he eventually pays it off?

K

19. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    In a heartbeat. Humans aren't an endangered species; there's enough decent people around, so we can stand to loose a few scumbags here and there. While I respect your opinion completely, I don't share it.

dfl, Breck, Jim Ficklin and 4 others like this.
  20. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    This sounds like the "walk a mile in their shoes" philosophy. While you're certainly entitled to hold that view, obviously I don't share it. My take on all this is that this is what's wrong with American jurisprudence-i hold that in complete contempt. This garbage KNEW what they were doing was wrong, and tried to run away from the consequences. We have a great catch and release justice system, and it shows in the light punishments usually handed down after plea bargaining. These days, crime does pay, and the crooks know it. They'll get a fine, and as you already learned, will probably get the truck back in the bargain. I'm not pining for the fish here, I'm pissed because there's no real incentive to prevent them from going right back to crime. And I'd also point out that if they did this, they probably did more, only this time they actually got caught. I reserve my empathy for people who deserve it.