Lenore second report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Sageman, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Sageman Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Went back up to Lenore yesterday and fished this morning as well. Water has cleared remarkably from the opener. The visibility is closer to normal now. Fishing is sporadic. Yesterday some guys were doing really well, and others not so well. Typical for the lake. After owning the lake on the opener last year, we got our comeuppance this year as we had trouble getting into the fish. Had about 5 in the boat by dinnertime between 2 of us (roughly 9 hours of fishing), and only a late run in the last couple of hours salvaged the day. We ended up with 16 between us. Far cry from the ~100 fish we caught each day on the opener last year.

This morning we found some fish, but the bite was slow and quick. We boated 10 fish by 11, but after about 9:00 NOBODY was hooking anything. We cut our losses and headed over to Rocky Ford for the remainder of the day and found a good midge hatch, but also found a huge fishermen hatch. We counted around 40 guys, but I am sure we missed more of them.
  2. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Wow...im really glad I stuck to steelhead today. Basin lakes suck.
  3. BobA oh yeah!

Oak Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    We fished the Northend of Lenore yesterday from 10- 1 PM. Beautiful morning and the lake was flat/calm. No insect activity to speak of. We did not have any strikes or see any top water signs of feeding fish. Left and headed back to the Yak for the evening hatch. Fished above Cle Elen and did not have any success there.

But that is why it is called fishing!

:beer1:
  4. Sageman Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    If you are waiting to see surface feeders on Lenore, better wait a couple of months at least. It is pretty much a bottom show in the spring. Buggers and chironimids.
  5. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    I'm planning to take my 4yr old fishing this weekend. I think Lenore may be a little rugged (cold and windy) for him, but I'm still considering. I have a small alum boat and trolling motor that i'd bring.

The plan would be to slow troll buggers and streamers looking for schools of fish, then anchoring and either casting more buggers\streamers to them, or trying nymphs or chironomids.
  6. Ken II LIB

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Chadk/ What a hell of catch though for a four year old. He will be completely extatic if you can hook him into one. Good for you. Hope you two have a blast.
  7. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Yep, it's his 'coming of age' over nighter trip with dad. His brothers have to stay home :) Can't wait until I can take all 3 of them, but for now, I have to do it one at a time until they are all at least 5 (unless my wife is with me - hard enough keeping one kid from throwing my rod in, fly box in, hemo stats, himselft, ect - let alone with 3 of the crazy kids).
  8. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    "Basin lakes suck" - kind of a broad statement, wouldn't you say Zen?
    Thanks for the Lenore reports Sageman.
    Brian
  9. OlyFlyguy Member

Olympia, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Wow it's great you're breaking your son into fishing, super you're getting an early start. When I tried something similar with my 5 year old he got bored fast, I'm talking within an hour. Good thing I brought great snacks and let him practice casting while I dredged the lake. Even with that I had to bag it after about 2 hours lest he jump ship. Hard to keep a kid that young--with their usual inexhaustible energy--in a boat for long. Good luck and tight lines.
    :thumb:
  10. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    I know what you mean. He's been fishing with me quite a bit since he was about 2. But this will be his first over-nighter. His older brother (who is 6) has been on several over-nighters already. But my 6yr old had more fun exploring the lenore caves than fishing last time we went - but we didn't time our fishing trip right and got skunked.