Lenore

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by sculpin, Oct 25, 2003.

1. sculpin New Member

bremerton, wa., kitsap.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Went to Lenore on the 24th, the fishing great once we found a spot that had alot of fish cruising, caught most on scuds, wow these fish are chunky, what I'd like to know if anyone has the answer is do the fish grow this big just eating scuds and bugs, are there bait fish or crayfish in Lenore?
    sculpin

A trout-colored wind blows through my eyes
    R.B.
  2. toadthedry Member

Western Wa
    Good question. Don't know the answer.
  3. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,226 / 0
    I was just browsing through Greg Thomas' Flyfishers Guide to Washington yesterday and he mentions the phenemonal growth rate of the Lehontans in Lenore and Grimes. I don't have the book in front of me right now but if I recall correctly, he states that fish are planted at 3-5" and grow to 17-19" in their first year and 2-3 pounds their second. I seem to remember he says that scuds, mayflies and damsels/dragon nymphs are the main components of their diet. Looking at the 'bug soup' water there, I don't know if they'd need anything else.

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'." ~ Dave Barry
  4. aaron j Member

La Conner, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    There are so many daphnia in the water at Lenore, all they have to do is swim with their mouths open. That lake is absolutely full of scuds, dragons, damsels, chironomids, mayflies, waterboatmen it is unbelievable. I haven't seen any bait fish or crawdads for that matter, and only a few water dogs.

aaron j
  5. ray helaers New Member

Lenore is full of very high protein foods, as have been listed above. I don't know about any forage fish (in fact I think the Lahontans might be the only fish that can live in the extremely alkaline water), but I seem to remember that there used to be at any rate a pretty good populations of those waterdogs (salamanders).

I also think that Lahontans have a very fast general growth rate on whatever diet they're eating. In their native habitat of the Pyramid Lake drainage in Nevada, they regularly get into the teens and even above the 20-pound mark. I think they can't get quite that big around here because since they can't effectively spawn, they only live a few years.
  6. fishnfella New Member

Grand Coulee, Washington, USA.
    Fish till ya drop.Then suck it up and fish the evening hatch.

Lenore has everything you mentioned mostly in abundance, and no Baitfish or Crawdads. Grimes is similar. The Callabaetis Mayfly hatches this year on both were the most prolific I've ever seen. The year around mainstays on both lakes is Chronies,Mayflies,and Scuds: each has their "Predominent" season as leaders in the diet.

Omak lake on the other hand is also very Alkaline and mineral rich, but the hatches are quite sparse and short lived. You gotta be lucky to hit the hatch there. AND the lake has been stocked with the Tui Chub, which is the mainstay of the fish after they pass 4-5 pounds. Omak no doubt holds the next state record Lahontin....but it won't likely be taken on flies.
  7. msteudel Mark Steudel

Seattle.
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Is leonore open all year?
  8. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    No, it's open Mar 1 - Nov 30.
  9. sculpin New Member

bremerton, wa., kitsap.
    Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll need to do some serious rock flipping next time I'm off that way.
    sculpin
  10. Bob Coma New Member

duvall, wa, king.
    It was several years ago, but I did catch 1 sculpin at the north end. Suprised the heck out of me. I guess if there's one, there could be more.
  11. worldanglr Member

Duvall, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +7 / 0