Leon's Streamer Blue Danube

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Backyard, May 7, 2004.

1. Backyard SANCHO!

The River, WA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    So, Is Leon paying you for these great reviews?

:rofl :thumb

By the way I really like the photoshop work on the dead brookie... I think I'm going to make it my new desktop.
  2. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +656 / 5
    Actually Backyard, this is probably Leon himself. The person as Claymore is from same city as Leon, so probably is the one in the same. No biggie, just would like to know who it is. One thing though, some flies that work great in the UK, won't work well here (and vise versa). But those are some very nice flies.
  3. Mulligan Stephen Mull

Seattle
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Ahhh haha
  4. Hywel New Member

Bothell, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    B-Yard

Your remark about Claymore (aka Leon Guthrie) 'paying for his reviews' was out of line and in extremely poor taste. Here's a news-flash for you, Sport - Leon is considered by angling professionals to be one of the most innovative tyers in the world. Irregardless of reputation, whenever any tyer shares their work on a public forum, like WFF, they should be treated with courtesy and grace - two qualities you're obviously devoid of.

SH-69

(Paraphrased) "Flies that work in the UK (probably) won't work over here". Is it ignorance or arrogance that provided the impetus for you to make such a statement? The very core of American flyfishing lies in the tying and tactics developed and refined in the UK more than two centuries ago - much of it in Scotland.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Leon Guthrie (Claymore) is a very close friend of mine, and has probably forgotten more about angling and dressing an effective fly than both of you (and I for that matter) will ever hope to learn.

Hywel
  5. Backyard SANCHO!

The River, WA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Deleted message

No message
  6. Hywel New Member

Bothell, WA, USA.
    B-Yard,

Were the tables turned, and people were lambasting your post(s), I would have been as equally passionate (and blunt) about defending you and your work. That's the truth - straight up.

It's obvious I have some very strong feelings about *any* tyer getting ripped in a public forum - and sometimes I have some difficulty in 'reading' the difference between light-hearted humor and unwarranted sarcasm.

Still, I've seen beginning tyers with real talent and enthusiasm for tying completely shattered by an ill-timed joke or unkind comment - so much so, that they gave up feather bending altogether.

Leon is certainly no beginning tyer, yet he's not immune to being hurt by insensitive remarks made by people who don't *know* him.

He's as prolific a tyer as he is pragmatic and artistic - and genuinely believes in unselfishly sharing his work with everyone and anyone who fishes or ties. There's no 'self promoting' with Leon - just a willingness to freely give of himself and his incredible body of knowledge about our sport and art.

So, you may not agree with the zealous (and unbending) stance I've taken, but I hope as a fellow tyer, angler, and all-around-nice-guy, you can appreciate it.

'Upitty'? Nice shot! (big grin) As for smooching your Kiester...how 'bout a handshake instead?

Scotty
  7. CLAYMORE New Member

Galashiels, Scotland, United Kingdom.
    Good Productive Pattern for Trout and Salmon,Fast retrieves required using this one.
    Tight Lines.

Claymore
  8. Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Bellingham/Puyallup, WA
    Um, I believe that Leon died. Well at least Leon Chandler died last March at age 81. He was the TU President for two years. He baisically helped develope fly lines as we know today. But, I'm not sure if tis is the same person.