Lets See Some Stoneflies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by ambassadeur10000, Jan 8, 2014.

1. How about it. Lets see some stoneflies

2. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

3. GAT

GAT Active Member

Okay... here's one....

[​IMG]

Unless you're talking about the ones with pointy metal things sticking out the butt...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. that last pic is sweet

5. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Left overs
    [​IMG]

Old flies I tied, I hardly fish rivers anymore and when I do it's mainly with streamers or foam dries.
    They are all wire bodied to get them down fast. I used to fish them in tandem with other nymph or caddis patterns. I'd rather use another fly for weight and attractor (more efficient) as opposed to split shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Teenage Entomologist likes this.
  6. ScottP

ScottP Active Member

salmonfly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

skwalas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Scott

kelvin and Teenage Entomologist like this.
  7. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Nice and beat up! I like! :)

8. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

9. Michael v.d.Bogert

Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

Some of them already have nice teeth prints:)
    Great flies!

Mike

10. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

11. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Nicely done imitation. I like it!

12. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

There's two fly pattern adults, Golden and Salmonfly, both my own pattern.

image.jpg

Mercer's Beaded Biot Poxyback Golden Stonefly, and Beaded Biot Salmonfly.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Alexander likes this.
  13. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

My Rubberbandit stonefly, it bounces and sinks like a stone should!;)

Attached Files:

GAT and Teenage Entomologist like this.
  14. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

15. GAT

GAT Active Member

My gosh!!! Lot's of good look'n patterns up there!!

16. GAT

GAT Active Member

Not that it matters because if a pattern works, regardless of the representation of the genuine bug, then it works. Who cares if the proportions are off? Evidently, not the fish.

However, while I was raising my golden stonefly nymphs, I noticed that the genuine nymph is built much differently than we tie the patterns to represent the nymphs.

[​IMG]

For example, the head is large, blunt and fat. The antenna are not really very long. The thorax extends almost the same distance as the abdomen. The tail, again in relation to the body, is not very long.

I'm one of those who also do not follow the actual dimensions of the genuine bug... I don't really know where someone came up with the idea that the thorax is only the forward third of the total size of the bug.... I was taught to tie all my nymphs like that and the majority of bugs I'm trying to imitate do not have a 1/3 body length thorax. Usually, the thorax is half the length of the entire bug.

Oh well, like I said, it doesn't matter that our proportions are off... as long as the flies catch trout... close enough... besides, traditional dry flies don't look the least bit like a real dun or adult so evidently the fish are not paying that much attention. (chances are, antenna is not needed)

17. Definitely true on our tying for the most part. My stones don't look anything like the real deal and they catch plenty of fish which is good for me since I'm not the best at tying flies

18. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

19. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

You see, personally I like to fish patterns that look the same (in shape) but aren't the same in coloration. (not all the time but some times). That way your "junk" will stand out from the rest and get attention as opposed to just blending in with the rest. It may work if you're sight fishing, but I've seen fish move to get to an attractor pattern over the norm. Just throwing that out there...

20. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

I've raised bunches of stones in my aquarium, and I try to tie my patterns just like the real deal, but that's just me.