Lets See Some Stoneflies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by ambassadeur10000, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Yeah, I think if it looks buggy enough and like something that is represented in that local stream at some point in time it will get eaten. This is why I like, actually love hopper patterns or ant patterns because they are always around. So fish being the opportunist for a fat meal that they are will always take advantage of a poor helpless terrestrial that happened to fall into the water, regardless of hatch.

If you're a survivor you'll eat what's edible and in front of you. Less work more food? Fish says : YEAP!

Teenage Entomologist likes this.
  2. Jaydub

Jaydub Member

Here are a few of my favorites:

Rogue Salmonfly
    [​IMG]

Rogue Golden with calftail wing
    [​IMG]

Norm Woods Special
    [​IMG]

Devil's Canyon Stone Nymph
    [​IMG]

Bird's Stonefly Nymph
    [​IMG]

3. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

The Rogue Stone can get a bit tore up, but it does the job! And I'm glad to say Bird's Stone hasn't been lost in time( Kal Bird was from Northern California, and caught many, many trout on that stone, and it was a staple local pattern, and only the older local tiers still tie it here in NorCal). If you can Jay, could you show me a link or something on how to tie Kal's Stone, I want to keep a staple stonefly nymph still in circulation here in it's home state. Thanks, and nice photos too!

4. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Found this one in Sportsman's Warehouse for 99 cents. Thought the double bead was a good idea.
    J IMG_1767.jpeg

5. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Yeah I hear you on the small head stonefly pattern thing. I wanted a big blunt head on my stonefly nymphs, so that's why I bent the rubber band over the bead and cut it off blunt. It creates the right profile from below... Rubberbandit Stonefly.png

6. GAT

GAT Active Member

The head does look much better than our traditional tapered thread approach.

7. Jaydub

Jaydub Member

I haven't worked up a step-by step. Here are a couple of tutorials I found. neither one is exactly how I tie them, but pretty close.

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/instbirdstone.htm

The one in my picture was tied with Beaver for the abdomen. In the photo it looks washed out. It's really a bit darker. Also the rib should be more orange. I think the original called for Beaver, but it might be better in a darker brown, like they use in the tutorials.

I caught a lot of fish on that pattern when I first started fly fishing. Then it sort of got displaced by newer patterns. I tied a few up a couple of years ago and confirmed that they still work.

8. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

9. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

Here is my pattern....I typically tie the body much fatter and more squared off at the tail.
    IMG_2565.JPG IMG_2564.JPG

10. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

Chewydog - I love your CDC Golden Stone, I tie one like that as well, and it gets a lot of action.

11. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

hey tinman, what are the legs and antennae on that one, I like em

12. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

Those are just knotted black turkey biots. I give the antennae a gentle pull against my bodkin needle to curl them, like you are curling ribbon. I like to use cheep paintbrush bristles for the antennae too...I think they hold up better and take a nice buggy looking curl. I also used to build up a little dab of head cement on the leg segments to fatten them up...that looks super real and buggy too, but it takes a lot more time.

13. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

good stuff, I figured it was something to that effect, thanks

14. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

WP_20140114_003.jpg
    Here is another one I have been messing with. It has the paintbrush antennae on the tail and latex rubber legs.

15. Teenage Entomologist

Nice patterns Tinman! Looks like they'll fool any trout out there!

16. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

Thanks! I have a bit of an obsession with stoneflys lately. That second one isn't my design; I copied it from a Montana Fly Company pattern someone gave me in a trade.

17. Teenage Entomologist

I love stones. My friend is only good at streamers, so he buys all his nymphs and dries from me. Like my name says,( it should say Teenage Aquatic Entomologist, but that's too long), I love aqua. entomology, and I'm obsessed with realistic fly patterns. Here's some art I drew, and please give an honest opinion of it. The 2nd one isn't a stone, but the size of one. It shouldn't be hard to guess what it is.

image.jpg

image.jpg

18. Any pics of an entire fish from the side?

19. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

very nice

20. Teenage Entomologist

I'm going to be working on a drawing of this trout that I caught, so that will be almost the entire fish. This drawing will take me a while to do, but when it's finished, it'll be awesome.
    image.jpg