Let's See Those Driftboat Kickers.

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Wet Wade, Apr 13, 2009.

1. I'm so excited I can hardly stand it; I just picked up a 4-horse kicker that I'm going to use on my Clacka 16' LP. It's a 1992 Merc 2-stroke w/ built in gas tank and I kid you not when I say it looks like it just came off the show room floor. Not even a minor scratch on the prop. The guy I got it from was the original owner and said he used it less than 25 hours then it just sat in storage for the past 13 years. It even started up on the 3rd pull with the 13 year old gas in the tank.

Please post up your driftboat kickers. I'm interested in how you guys have the anchor system set up and if there's any way of getting around having to off-set the anchor arm and having to buy a new, angled pulley. If at all possible I'd like to shy away from drilling new holes for the anchor arm.

Thanks.

2. 13 years with the same fuel????? Dump the fuel in there. gas now days doesnt las that long. And will cause problems. Great little engine though. They are throw away outboards as the $$$$ it costs to fix will excede it's value.

3. I should have mentioned that I took care of the gas and put in a new plug. It only had a cup or 2 of the old gas so I filled it with fresh (50:1 mix)and ran it for a while behind a friends Jon boat on a lake last Saturday. Purred like a champ from the first pull.

4. Wet, make sure to use a good quality fuel stabilizer in your tank. Save you $$$ in the future.

5. The 2 stroke oil in the gas acts as a fuel stabilizer. Without the oil in the fuel, the fuel will turn into varnish in about a year. Not a bad thing to add a stabilizer, but with a 2 stroke mix, it wont go bad for many many years.

6. where did you get that info? I have been working on boats my whole life and ahve never heard this????

7. And to add to the problem, todays fuel (gas) the way it is formulated starts to break down in 30 days. You wont notice it in your car as you fill the tank often. Older outboards and sterndrive and inboard engines are seeing more problems now with this fuel. Fuel line and tanks are taking hits also.

8. problems related to E10 fuels. It's getting harder and harder to find fuels without ethanol. Engines older than five years likely won't run as well on ethanol fuels. Ethanol fuels are being blamed for many marine engine failures over the past couple years. In fact, most marine engine warranties are invalidated by running fuels with an ethanol content over 10%. So you're placing all your faith in the fuel delivery tanker having been mixed properly.

Ethanol fuels don't burn as efficiently and can lower the octane rating by as much as three points at a 10% mix. Ethanol is also hygroscopic, meaning it bonds readily with water. They advise against storing ethanol fuels longer than 90 days due to phase separation/water contamination. If you don't run your tank dry every trip out, they recommend filling the tank as fully as possible before storage to prevent as much air circulation as possible. Ethanol will pull moisture right out of the air and deposit in your tank. Ethanol is also an excellent solvent. Older fuel blends contained MTBE that when mixed with ethanol fuels creates a sludge that can plug carburetors and fuel filters. MTBE residue can be left behind in your tank, even if the tank is run completely dry, especially if you have a plastic tank.

Now for the worst part - if you have a fiberglass tank, ethanol will dissolve the resin, leading to plugged fuel filters, clogged carburetors, engine and fuel tank failures. You should keep an eye on rubber fuel lines, o-rings and gaskets - ethanol can cause premature failures in these components. Ethanol is also being blamed for the premature rusting of engine components, particularly in low-use applications (marine, lawn & garden). As a solvent, ethanol can also interfere with two-cycle lubrication, particularly in small engines that use a fuel/oil premix.

Look around on the web, there's tons of pages about the effects of ethanol on marine engines, along with advice to minimize your risks.

9. i have a 16' Clack. I use a Merc 5hp long shaft 4 stroke. Works great in lakes and rivers. ai left the anchor mount in the middle and mount the motor on the side on a small bracket.

10. Take some gas and put it in a can. Do the same to another can and put some 2 stroke oil in it. Let it sit there for as long as you see fit (one year, two years, whatever you feel like). Then go out and grab both of the cans and pour them on the ground or a small burn pile. Try to light them on fire. The one without the oil will not burn, or barely will. Now take the one with 2 stroke oil in it and light it. It WILL burn. The proof is in the pudding. I have had gas/oil mix that is 10 years old and it will burn. I am not saying this is a good or great practice, but gas with oil in it will not varnish nearly as quickly as just straight gas. Give it a try, you maybe surprised.

11. If you get a chance could you post a picture?

12. +1, I would definitely like to see a pic.

I stopped by RO the other day, they have a super sweet aluminum bracket built specifically for their boats and with a little modification it would work very well on a Clacka, the problem is they want $125 for it. I might try to build a similar one out of wood but will probably end up just off-setting the anchor and getting an angled pulley from Clacka. This is looking to be the most cost effective and permanent solution.

13. I rarely use a gas kicker anymore. But what I use is electrics. Easier to take on and off. Now, I know it's not as nice as a gas (as in longevity, easier to stop and refill tank then it is to recharge the battery). Plus, the right deep cycle and it'll last all day and push as well as the 4-5hp. But, after I was told I had to license my drifter, I kind of strayed from using them.

They do make a sidemount rear anchor release. That way you can mount the motor and leave it on and still use your anchor.

14. What thrust do you run? And have you found one battery that is better than another?

I just licensed mine yesterday. A MT permanent sticker for boats 16' or longer is $135, of course my boat is registered as 16'.

I'm not looking for the side mount anchor release; the foot release system will work fine. What I need is to do is off-set the anchor arm on the stern to one side so there's room for the motor. However, when you off-set the anchor arm you have to drill 2 new holes and replace the pulley at the base of the stern where the anchor rope comes out of the tube with an angled pulley (that Clacka sells). I'm just trying to, if possible, not drill a bunch of unnecessary holes.

15. LOL, that's what I meant. It's a sidemount anchor rest/release. I had one. Mounts to the side of the boat so leaves the transom (or what there is of it) open. Dierks makes the one you want.

I use a 48# thrust, or did until I found out I still had to register my boat. I used an RV battery, deep cycle version and worked great.

16. I made an adapter plate ( 3/8" aluminum) bolted to the anchor arm. I used a bow mount motor for the remote control functions (hard wired to a foot pad)

Works well.

17. Thanks for the pics.

Measuring the width of the mouning bracket on a 6hp merc, it is 7", the same up to a 9.9. Looking at the set-up on my clack I could just drill 2 holes in the top of the transom and move the anchor bracket over to one side and mount the motor. As far as the lower pully goes I will just leave it be where it is, minumizing the holes I have to drill.

Those of you that have gas kickers on your boats what hp do you have? I plan to use my motor only in the lakes to get me from a to b. Rowing around once I get to where I want to be. Definately no plans to use my motor in the rivers. I think a 6hp should be lots of power for what I want.

18. How much thrust does that motor have? It gets real windy where I am, does that electric motor have enough jam to push the boat with 3 passengers into the wind faster than rowing?

19. 55 lbs, pushes the boat 4.8 mph. this model motor has a transponder in the drive for a fish finder which I also made a temproray mount.

20. Well, I used my new-to-me kicker this weekend on a lake, it worked great. I'll definitely have to off-set the anchor so I can put the motor directly on the transom, if it were to sit any higher the prop and intake would not sit far enough in the water. We fished for about 4 1/2 hours and only burned through about 2/3 of a tank of gas (it has a built-in 1 gallon tank).

Funny story. Just to putz around this lake I decided to take the anchor system off, including the pulley at the base of the transom, which is held on by 2 bolts. I don't know why I took the pulley off, excited to use my kicker I guess. About half way across the lake I looked back to realize I forgot to put the bolts back in the holes and remembered that they were sitting on my counter at home. Water was gushing in; the holes are not that big so it wasn’t like we were in any danger but enough water was coming in for a few choice words. The issue was resolved with a stick being jammed in each hole.